Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Moving from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

I am going to upgrade from 12.04 LTS to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS when it is released on April 26th.

I read that the best way to do this is to wipe everything and do the install from scratch. Is this correct and if so then how can I keep some of the settings I made ? Do I need to backup a folder or folders onto a USB stick.

Thanks

Beans

Re: Question: Moving from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

You can upgrade directly from 12.04 to 14.04. Done last week and so far no issue and settings remained the same.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kowloon2 View Post
    You can upgrade directly from 12.04 to 14.04. Done last week and so far no issue and settings remained the same.
    Won't that have to be done by upgrading all the way from 12.04 > 12.10 > 13.04 > 13.10 > 14.04 ?

Will you also upgrade to 14.04 LTS later this month ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mekon2 View Post
    Won't that have to be done by upgrading all the way from 12.04 > 12.10 > 13.04 > 13.10 > 14.04 ?
    You can go directly from one LTS to another. 12.04 to 14.04 without the intermediate upgrade steps is correct.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

LTS-to-LTS upgrade will be supported in the final release. If you have the updater set to notify you when a new LTS release is available, that should happen sometime after the release.

Backing out PPA's and reverting packages they may have replaced to their default status is usually recommended. (You could use ppa-purge.) I'd certainly make backups of anything I wanted to ensure was not lost. A release upgrade is a big deal in the life of a distribution.

Just in case disaster strikes, burning a 14.04 install image to a USB or DVD before you start the in-place upgrade might be a sensible precaution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would add, de-activating any proprietary video driver and use the open source (Nouveau) driver instead. See Additional Drivers.

If you wish to do a fresh install you do not need to wipe everything. The installation process will take care of that.

A lot depends on your setup. Are you dual booting with some other OS? If you installed Ubuntu using the "Use Entire Disk" option then you can simply do the same but that will remove all your data and settings.

Or you can use the "Something Else" option and direct exactly which partition to install Ubuntu into. You will need to set the file system as Ext4 and the mount point of / but if you do not tick the "format" box your data and settings will not be overwritten.

We can even Upgrade from a DVD with Ubuntu 14.04 on it. Open Ubuntu. Put the Ubuntu 14.04 DVD in the optical drive and Ubuntu will detect the DVD an offer to upgrade 12.04 to 14.04 from the DVD.

Upgrading should preserve our data and settings but it is always wise to have backups of stuff we do not want to lose.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mekon2 View Post
    I am going to upgrade from 12.04 LTS to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS when it is released on April 26th.

I read that the best way to do this is to wipe everything and do the install from scratch. Is this correct and if so then how can I keep some of the settings I made ? Do I need to backup a folder or folders onto a USB stick.

Thanks
    There seems to be conflicting information about Trusty's release date
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pfeiffep View Post
    There seems to be conflicting information about Trusty's release date
    It should be available sometime today. It's not on the download page yet though (09:00 GMT)
    Not sure where I heard it was the 26th April though.

Press release: http://insights.ubuntu.com/news/ubun...orm-of-choice/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I would add, de-activating any proprietary video driver and use the open source (Nouveau) driver instead. See Additional Drivers.
    13.04 to 13.10 deactivated them automaticly. and reactivated them back when 13.10 was installed (or rather notified me again that proprietary drivers exist) I wonder if 12.04 will deactivate them on upgrade to 14.04?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

12.04 LTS won't show a prompt to upgrade till July 24th
    Shame this wasn't detailed on the main Ubuntu download page and I had to search around to find it. Another Linux frustration .

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2014/04/17/...tahr-released/
    Users of Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.10 will be offered an automatic upgrade to 14.04 LTS via Update Manager shortly. Users of 12.04 LTS will be offered the automatic upgrade when 14.04.1 LTS is released, which is scheduled for July 24th.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast