Thread: MySQL error when connecting with PHP

Beans

MySQL error when connecting with PHP

Hi all,

Running an old 10.04 version of ubuntu server, because I must. It's got LAMP on it. I can access MySQL via MySQL workbench, and queries run nicely (I can also access it from the command line). If I try to connect to the database with PHP though, it fails. This is the error message:

Code:
    Failed to connect to MySQL: Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.4.56.53' (111)
    Any ideas as to why it's not connecting? I've tried adding another user (via CREATE USER) and that user doesn't work either.
    Here's the actual connection php:

Code:
    <?php

$con=mysqli_connect("10.4.56.53","root","pass","db");
    // Check connection
    if (mysqli_connect_errno())
      {
      echo "Failed to connect to MySQL: " . mysqli_connect_error();
      }

$result = mysqli_query($con,"SELECT username,password FROM `db`.`users`;");

while($row = mysqli_fetch_array($result))
      {
      echo $row['username'] . " " . $row['password'];
      echo "<br>";
      }

mysqli_close($con);

?>

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: MySQL error when connecting with PHP

If MySQL is running on the same machine as the PHP scripts are, try connecting to MySQL on "localhost" rather than "10.4.56.53".

I would have thought, when trying to connect to MySQL with an IP, it will have to have the necessary ports open and listening to accept external connections. If it is on the same machine however, this should not be an issue.

EDIT: Looks like that is right, MySQL probably only listens on localhost/127.0.0.1 by default. To make it accept other connections, it would have to be set up to do so (reference). From a security perspective it is probably best to leave MySQL only listening on localhost unless it is necessary not to.
    Last edited by m_duck; April 15th, 2014 at 01:54 PM.
    Desktop: Phenom 955 BE | GA-MA790XT-UD4P | 8GB TG Elite 1600 | BFG GTX 275
    Conky Screenshots | Last.fm | New to Ubuntu?

Beans

Make sure you have the php5-mysql package installed and connect to 127.0.0.1.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by m_duck View Post
    If MySQL is running on the same machine as the PHP scripts are, try connecting to MySQL on "localhost" rather than "10.4.56.53".

I would have thought, when trying to connect to MySQL with an IP, it will have to have the necessary ports open and listening to accept external connections. If it is on the same machine however, this should not be an issue.

EDIT: Looks like that is right, MySQL probably only listens on localhost/127.0.0.1 by default. To make it accept other connections, it would have to be set up to do so (reference). From a security perspective it is probably best to leave MySQL only listening on localhost unless it is necessary not to.
    Hey man, thanks. I did fix the binding (by commenting it out), but I'm still getting:

Code:
    Failed to connect to MySQL: Access denied for user 'root'@'10.4.56.53' (using password: YES)
    The part of my.cnf just before this says:

Code:
    user            = mysqlsocket          = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
    port            = 3306
    basedir         = /usr
    datadir         = /var/lib/mysql
    tmpdir          = /tmp
    skip-external-locking
    That seems right, right?

I had a look at the /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld file, but it seems to be dealing with just read and write access, which doesn't seem to be the issue here.

Beans

Access denied means that the connection is working as expected, but you probably didn't create a 'root'@'10.4.56.53' account in MySQL. I suggest creating 'root'@'%' instead. That uses the SQL wildcard and matches connections by root from any IP.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users