Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Converting ubuntu 12.04 bios boot to uefi boot, EFI partition not detected

Re: Converting ubuntu 12.04 bios boot to uefi boot, EFI partition not detected

Thank you for the 'nomodeset' tip I will definitely look into it. I've just gotten back from a service call and I am REALLY enjoying the new Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. After I finish perusing the settings I will go back to researching moving my /home directory and maybe attempting another dual boot with 12.04 for anything that does not effectively work in 14.04.

So, about that VirtualBox running in an EFI installation of Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop? Yep, it runs just fine.

Attached is a screenshot of VirtualBox on EFI mode Ubuntu, running Apple Snow Leopard, the latest Lulbuntu Tizen IDE, the latest OpenSuse and a vm of Windows 7 that is also running "BlueStacks" beta 1 and my Android apps from my Google Apps Premiere account with "two-factor" authentication.

Sort of a fake computer in multiple fake computers on a real Asus G73Sw computer....lol.

I think I'm done with attempting to convert a bios boot 12.04 to an EFI boot. Unless you, oldfred, would like me to continue because I appreciate your assistance, and, because I believe that I can make it work as a dual boot thanks to what I have learned and the tips you have supplied.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now, I'm going to make my Asus Nexus 7 LTE 2013 dual boot Ubuntu Touch....lol.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You seem to like challenges.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

oldfred, ha ha not really, though, I would like to get my box set up to work as well as proprietary systems and a full back up solution. I was quite happy with my 12.04 install for a couple of years.

It was a proprietary Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive that pooched my earlier os. Foolishly I thought I could buy a USB drive and just plug it in..sigh! The drive had an EFI partition that got me interested in upgrading.

I went into my Windows 7 virtual machine and thought I'd use the utility that came with the disk to set up the back up for JUST windows, and, boom my host system was screwed. None of this was planned it just sort of happened.

I'm on an adventure to replace the Android on my tablet because it all of a sudden decided that it could steal all my pictures and images and upload them to the web without my express permission. None of my previous Android devices did this only the damned Nexus 7 2013 with Android 4.4 kit kat. It took with my pictures images of peoples SIGNATURES from my invoicing app. If I turn off the picture sync it turns off my email & calendar sync. Now Google has got to go.

Sadly the Ubuntu Touch installation page is woefully out of date. The adb backup is not working correctly for me. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by don-handymanreality View Post
    Now, I'm going to make my Asus Nexus 7 LTE 2013 dual boot Ubuntu Touch....lol.
    Hi, were you able to successfully convert your your Nexus 7 LTE (I've read some article that said that only Nexus 7 Wifi can be dual booted) to dual boot? Can you make a tutorial on how this could be done? Thank you so much and more power.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123