Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Converting ubuntu 12.04 bios boot to uefi boot, EFI partition not detected

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Converting ubuntu 12.04 bios boot to uefi boot, EFI partition not detected

I have 14.04 in a test partition, but still using 12.04 as my working install. I do not have UEFI (yet). I had planned a new system a couple of years ago and started following UEFI issues, so I would know what I was doing. But I first bought a small 64GB SSD and old system was so good I put off new system. I still hope to do new system soon.
    Boot-Repair does not yet have a trusty version, but I was able to tell it to install saucy version and at least the bootinfo report part worked.
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Question Re: Converting ubuntu 12.04 bios boot to uefi boot, EFI partition not detected

And the saga continues after another 12 hours of trying to make eufi boot on my Asus G73sw i7 quad core laptop.

It seems that there has been a line blowing by on my screen before grub 2.0 loads. I could not find anyway to log it or find it in any logs so I had to shoot a video just to grab one image of what it says.

"could not open "\EFI\BOOT\fallback.efi": 14
    Besides the fact that the efi file is all in lower case I am completely stumped as to how to recover.

My last attempts with boot-repair end up with a blinking cursor on the screen and it will not boot past it. I am going to try disabling my nic in the bios and see if that has any effect because I found this post for OpenSuse where someone has done extensive testing and they have issues with eufi after disabling & enabling the nic card. Bottom of post #40 here

Anyone got any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Could not open "\EFI\BOOT\fallback.efi"
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1241824

Some in bug report have this:
    It looks like the current work around is copy & renaming some efi files.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Thanks for the tip, though, renaming to fallback.efi woiuld not work for me to convert my 12.04 Desktop to dual boot Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop on my Asus G73Sw laptop.

So, I went with a complete wipe of my sda drive and I left my sdb drive with the two ntfs partitions stay as they were, then, I installed Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop in uefi mode from a LiveUSB. I used the "lvm" "encrypted drive" & "other" options on install and created a new partiton table on the drive with 200mb for EFI, 30 GB for /, 150 GB for /home, & 18 GB for SWAP.

On reboot I did not see a grub 2.0 boot screen, so, I used the command below to determine if I did truly reboot into UEFI from my hard drive.
    [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "EFI boot on HDD" || echo "Legacy boot on HDD"

The result was:
    EFI boot on HDD
    Screenshot from 2014-04-17 15:34:00.jpg

lshw output

Now I will attempt to install 12.04 in EFI mode to the balance of my sda drive and then I may know if it was even possible to dual boot this computer with UEFI installed os's.

NOTE: Before I install 12.04 I took a look at my bios and I notice that there is no "UEFI:" before my boot selection though I am booting into EFI mode? The boot selection is not my sda drive descrtiption and is simply "ubuntu." Previously I was often following the advice of the last alert box from boot-repair that instructed me to make sure that the "hard drive" was first in the boot order. Now if I change to the actual hard drive as being first in the order I get the same black screen with blinking cursor that was frustrating me in trying to make the conversion of 12.04 Desktop to EFI mode.

Maybe I was selecting the wrong entry and should have been selecting the "ubuntu" entry all along?

asus-G73Sw-bios-bootorder.jpg

Dagnabit! It figures that 14.04 LTS would come out today...sigh! all that work with 13.10 was for naught.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have only seen one or two UEFI with LVM installs. Those had both the efi and /boot outside the LVM as the LVM was encrypted.
    Not sure if UEFI will read a efi partition inside an LVM as it may not have driver. Grub now has drivers for RAID & LVM so you do not have to have a /boot outside of RAID or LVM, but I do not think most UEFI have the extra drivers.

Ok, well, installing the latest Ubuntu 12.04LTS through LiveUSB results in a blank black screen right from the very start. So it is a complete non starter at the moment.I suspect the Nvidia Geforce GTX 460M Cuda 1.5 GB drivers because they have always given me grief in 12.04.

I'll have give up here and look into moving my old 12.04 /home directory into my new install of 13.10 AFTER I use the upgrade tools to upgrade it to 14.04LTS. I'm sure that will be fun..lol.

How can I tell if my current installation is LVM? Do you know a command I could use?

oldfred, you are correct my install is no lvm. as indicated by the lvs & lvdisplay commands that indicate that lvm is not installed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Since about 10.10, I have had to use nomodeset with every boot of ISO to install and one first boot or until I install nVidia drivers.

I always install nVidia driver from repository as years ago, I installed from nVidia and had nothing but problems, took forever to totally house clean that install, so I could go back to one that worked.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast