Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cloning old hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Cloning old hard drive

This may be normal, but it is showing no signs of any progress now. I opened /mnt/sdb1 to check on it in a sudo'd emelFM. There is a hda.img.gz file there, growing in size. What's interesting is that I don't hear the hard drive sound I always remember hearing with this PC. Maybe it's only a write sound? It's going rather slowly (which I'd expect with this old hardware) Weird, the forums glitched out when I tried to post this, saying it was a duplicate in the last 5 minutes. Also, something I find funny is that the hard drive says it's Win95 lol. I'll edit this once it's done.

Beans

Are you writing to a flash drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It got to 2048MB and then it said "File size limit exceeded" in the terminal. The drive is 2.7GB, so that's not the whole thing. Just making sure, the problem here is the fact that you can't have a file over 2GB in FAT32. Also, I was wondering if there was a way I can continue this process after I reformat the drive (backing up the img file of course) without having to restart it, since just this took about 3 hours.

EDIT:
    Are you writing to a flash drive?
    Yes, 16GB one, and I forgot to format the windows partition to NTFS so it could hold a file over 2GB.... *facepalm*
    Last edited by quadrplax; April 24th, 2014 at 01:50 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

The process is slow, but I think that you will finally succeed with an NTFS file system (provided the partition is big enough for the file).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by quadrplax View Post
    EDIT:

Yes, 16GB one, and I forgot to format the windows partition to NTFS so it could hold a file over 2GB.... *facepalm*
    That's gonna be slow, if the pc is usb 1.x then even slower.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The partition is 4GB, and I'm using <1GB. The drive's capacity is 4GB and 2.7GB are used. The partition is now NTFS. I bet the ports are 1.0, the computer is from 1999 and only has 2 usb ports on the back. It took roughly 3 hours to copy 2GB in the first attempt. Speed isn't a concern, this is just a one time thing anyway, and it's not like I want to be using the computer for anything else. I guess I will start the process over. I can start it in 5.5 hours from now, but I'll check first if you guys say something else, I still have the 2GB first attempt. If I don't get any posts, I'll post when it's done, probably about 8 hours from now.
    "I used to think I knew a lot about computers. Then I tried Ubuntu."
    MY SYSTEMS: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS on an HP EliteBook 6930p; Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a 16GB flash drive; Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS on a Dell Dimension 4550

Beans
    Hidden!

I would not try to append to that 2 GB file from your first attempt.

Please start the imaging process from the beginning (writing to a new file name).

Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok, starting the process over now. I get the error
    Code:
    bash: /mnt/sdb1/hda.img.gz: Read-only file system
    I hope it's not because it is NTFS, so close...
    I tried to mount the Ubuntu (Ext4) partition instead and it said
    Code:
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb2
            or too many mounted file systems
    When I tried to mount it, which doesn't sound very helpful. I don't care which partition I get it on, I just need this image file somewhere. Help with either error?
    MY SYSTEMS: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS on an HP EliteBook 6930p; Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a 16GB flash drive; Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS on a Dell Dimension 4550

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Update: Never mind, I remounted the drive with
    Code:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw '/media/SGTL MSCN'
    from http://askubuntu.com/questions/47538...ystem-writable and now it's working again. Will mark as solved if it works, will find that out in a few hours...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

At the end, it said the following:
    Code:
    1056037+1 records in
    1056037+1 records out
    It looked like it had finished fine, the file was ~2400MB (I expected it to be about 2700) in emelFM, so I shut down the computer, Took out the flash drive, put it into windows, and had a 0KB "hda.img.gz" file! What happened?!? I guess I have to do this for a third attempt tomorrow then. Help?

EDIT: in Right Click --> Properties, it is 2.36GB. I'm afraid to touch it now, until you guys say something, have a feeling I'll break it. I did, however, make a backup (or 3)

EDIT2: That must have been a weird windows glitch. When I refreshed the folder it went to its actual size, but it's getting late here. I'll tell you tomorrow if I have any luck with it.
    Last edited by quadrplax; April 25th, 2014 at 04:12 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast