Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cloning old hard drive

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Cloning old hard drive

I suggest that you run a live full size linux system (for example Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu, Kubuntu) from a CD/DVD/USB drive in the computer where you have Windows, and that you copy that compressed image file to a faster drive, for example hard disk drive.

Then I suggest that you 'install alias 'flash' the system into a USB pendrive.

Reverse the dd-gzip process

Be very careful, so that you do not overwrite the internal drive of the computer.

Check carefully the drive letters with commands like

Code:
    sudo parted -l
    sudo fdisk -lu
    sudo blkid
    df
    Select x in the following command line depending on the output of the commands above.

Code:
    sudo -s
    zcat hda.img.gz | dd bs=4096  of=/dev/sdx
    sync
    exit
    Safer alternative

or use mkusb to decrease the risk with dd. See the following link

Ubuntu Forums tutorial "Howto make USB boot drives"

In the directory, where you have hda.img.gz and mkusb, run the command

Code:
    sudo ./mkusb hda.img.gz
    and it will help you identify and select the target drive, where you want to expand the system from the very old computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That was just a weird thing where it said 0KB. I see no need to use Linux on my main PC, I'm using 7-zip. Copying the file around on my main PC only takes about one minute across USB 2.0 ports, the initial 6 hour copying time is probably because of how old the hard drive and USB ports are on the old PC. I have the file on the flash drive, my solid state drive, and my backup hard drive, and I got it in all of those places in well under 5 minutes. I am currently using remote desktop, and ran out of SSD disk space. When I get home, I will plug in my external drive and copy files to there. That will be about 5 hours from now. Then I'll extract the img and mount it (with gizmo) to see if it will work fine. If so, I'll follow the Migrate Windows tutorial. Otherwise, I'll keep you posted.
    "I used to think I knew a lot about computers. Then I tried Ubuntu."
    MY SYSTEMS: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS on an HP EliteBook 6930p; Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a 16GB flash drive; Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS on a Dell Dimension 4550

Beans
    Hidden!

I think you have succeeded now

Anyway, when you are sure, please click on Thread Tools at the top of the page and mark this thread as solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have you tried looking into SystemRecoveryCD. I'm not sure what's required to run it, but it should be pretty lightweight.... It comes with DD on it, which is a great lightweight way to move data. May take a little while....but it will get the job done and use relatively low resources. That's what I use at work.

Beans
    Hidden!

How light is SystemRecoveryCD? I mean what is the RAM limit for it to boot and run for example dd? Will it work in a computer with only 64 MB?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I extracted the drive, it totaled 4.02GB, I'm guessing the .02 are the MBR and stuff, as the whole drive showed up as 4GB in Win98. Interesting thet the img file stores all the unused space on the drive too. Anyway, when I tried to mount it via Gizmo, it gave this error:
    Code:
    The image "hda.img" does not appear to be formatted yet.
    Would you like to format it now?
    If I chose no, windows says:
    Code:
    You need to format the disk in drive I: 
    before you can use it.
    Do you want to format it?
    If I choose cancel:
    Code:
    I:\ is not accessible.

The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
    Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and the volume is not
    corrupted.
    The drive shows up in the Hard Disk Drives catagory. It is "Locak Disk (I" and does not have the total space information. I made some copies of the file for some tests.

Test #1: I accept when Windows asks to format the drive
    Result: It gives me the default formatting menu (deja vu from when I reformatted flash drive to NTFS xD), which wipes the drive.

Test #2: I accept when Gizmo asks to format the drive
    Result: It formats automatically, and quickly, and results in an empty drive.

The next thing I'm going to do is use Ubuntu on my testing laptop (the one in my sig) to do what sudodus suggested in post #31. I encountered a problem that Ubuntu refuses to mount the NTFS partition. Beacuse of this, I tried to boot up DSL and copy the file from the NTFS partition to the Ext4 one, but then I remembered that I can't mount the Ext4 partition there. So, in DSL I can't use Ext4 in DSL/Win7, but I can't use NTFS in Ubuntu. Great. Help?

Edit: Tried Ext2Fsd, doesn't show any partitions other than the ones Windows already sees.
    Last edited by quadrplax; April 25th, 2014 at 11:36 PM.
    MY SYSTEMS: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS on an HP EliteBook 6930p; Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a 16GB flash drive; Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS on a Dell Dimension 4550

Beans
    Hidden!

If the NTFS partition is clean, it should be possible to mount from Ubuntu. Try in Windows to run

Code:
    chkdsk /f i:
    and after that Ubuntu should be able to mount it, at least manually.

-----
    Edit: Check which drive you want to mount with parted

Code:
    sudo parted -l
    -----

Let us say that the internal drive is /dev/sda, the Ubuntu boot drive is /dev/sdb and this one is /dev/sdc (the clone of the really (really) old desktop computer, a Packard Bell 945).

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt
    if the Windows partition is not the first one, try to mount the second partition ...

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdc2 /mnt
    and browse to /mnt to find the directories and files that you want.
    Last edited by sudodus; April 26th, 2014 at 06:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The Windows command worked, and I can now open the NTFS partition. I got an error when I tried to mount the NTFS partition, saying it was already mounted, and If I unmounted it from the file explorer, it disappears and can't be remounted. Luckily, I don't have this problem with my external NTFS HDD, so now I'm using that instead. I put the "of=" in the Ubuntu partition of my second Ubuntu flash drive (see sig). It appears to have wiped that drive...would have been good to know it does that...guess I'm going to be reinstalling Ubuntu today...Anyways, good thing I didn't put in on external hdd like I was planning to. Nothing lost, just a pain to reinstall. Right now I'm waiting for the command. I can't find signs of progress anywhere.

Beans
    Hidden!

See
    Code:
    man dd
    Code:
           Sending a USR1 signal to a running `dd' process makes it print I/O statistics to standard error
           and then resume copying.

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null& pid=$!
                  $ kill -USR1 $pid; sleep 1; kill $pid

18335302+0  records  in
                  18335302+0  records out
                  9387674624  bytes (9.4 GB) copied, 34.6279 seconds, 271 MB/s
    If you did not add '& pid=$!' to the command line, you can instead run (from another terminal window)

Code:
    ps -A|grep dd
        2 ?        00:00:00 kthreadd
     1770 ?        00:00:00 winbindd
     1776 ?        00:00:00 winbindd
     3207 ?        00:00:00 e-addressbook-f
     8732 ?        00:00:00 dd
    identify the process ID number of dd (not kthreadd ...)
    in this example 8732

and run the command

Code:
    sudo kill -USR1 8732
    to get three lines of output telling you how far it has proceeded.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok, it finished (much faster than than the original copy lol) and oddly, the "10 GB FILE SYSTEM" aka the Ubuntu partition moved from devices to Computer and appears empty. I'm going to reboot now, see if that does something. It is now called "10 GB Unrecognized". Ok, I rebooted, and now there isn't a 10 GB anything showing up, just the windows partition on it. From fdisk -lu, it shows up fine, in fact the only difference between the Linux partitions on each drive is that one is sdc2 and the other is sdb2. I'll run some more commands to see if there are any problems. Aha, parted -l shows that the one I copied the img to has no file system, where as the one I booted to just now shows up fine as Ext4. blkid confirms this, completely skipping over /dev/sdc2. Next thing I will try is attempt to boot this potentially corrupted drive. That results in:

Code:
    error: unknown filesystem.
    grub rescue> _
    I'd like to know if there's anything I should do before re-install. If I do re-install, I'll assign a larger Windows partition, but it will probably still wipe the drive...help?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast