Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pentium 4, Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420

Beans

Re: How low (spec) can you go?

I said Dell, but it was actually a HP with Nvidia card:
    GeForce4 MX440

That one would only run on Linux Lite and Debian Wheezy without weird video artifacts. All the Buntus looked weird on it. Lite is based on Ubuntu but with a much newer kernel I think. Lots of these retiring XP machines are going to have old graphic cards. Will be great if the newer Ubuntu version 14.04 works well on these machines.

Beans

as expected, your PC is affected by the bug I was mentioning just above. According to the bug tracking (see comment #23), it looks quite bad for Ubuntu 14.04: there is probably not much effort from the community to support these old graphic cards... I will not put too much hope there.

Do you run the default driver on Linux Lite and Debian Wheezy? It is the "nouveau" driver?

Both are built on older Xorg server (1.11 and 1.12). They are the last supported by the nvidia proprietary drivers 96xx you could also try to get better 2D/3D performance. These are not supported in Ubtuntu 13.x and above, that is why it is better to sick with older distrib, like those based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (as your Linux Lite).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please wait with this kind of statements until original poster tells which graphics card is in use.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

OK, I've got hold of the proper specs for the PC. It's actually got a Pentium 4 1.80GHz, and the Gfx Card is an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 with 64MB

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'll have a read about the Nouveau bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Pentium 4, Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420

Well done, Eric. It was indeed one of the old Nvidias.
    I agree that this card is a problem. Worth a try to see if you can get another used card for free or very cheap.
    Last edited by mrgs; April 15th, 2014 at 08:06 PM.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I can certainly try to source another card.
    I wanted to stick with one of the buntus as it's something I'm familiar with and I'm going to end up having to support this PC. Still, I'll take a look at the others too.
    Thanks for all the help.

Beans

oops, I just see I mixed KBD47 and dave0109 in my former reply: I though KBD47's answer was from the original poster dave0109. Sorry. Since it applies to both, I suppose it's ok
    Anyway, KBD47, I am still curious to know which driver you are using with your GF4, if open source or proprietary.
    Last edited by eric13; April 15th, 2014 at 09:18 PM.

Beans

I was weighing in on Dave's issue because it sounded very familiar.
    Eric, yes, using the open source driver. I think I would need to go back to Ubuntu 10.04 to get the proprietary driver to load on that old machine. Debian Wheezy and Linux Lite work great with the open source Nouveau driver, but for some reason I get artifacts on all the 12.04 Ubuntus and newer, though I haven't tried 14.04 yet on that computer.
    Edit: From your earlier post it looks like no hope for any future Buntus with that old Nvidia card. I'm very curious what Linux Lite does differently than the other Buntu 12.04s, because it even works on another old computer I have with a SIS card that the other 12.04s won't work correctly on. Maybe regular Ubuntu needs to get with those Linux Lite guys on this Nvidia issue
    Edit2: Actually Linux Lite is not using Nouveau on my machine. inxi -F says it's using fbdev.
    Last edited by KBD47; April 15th, 2014 at 11:45 PM.

Beans

ok for Linux Lite with the Framebuffer.
    But that Nouveau works great on Wheezy (Xorg 1.12) but not on Buntu 12.04 (Xorg 1.11) or more recent versions (Xorg 1.13+) is very strange.
    And also I don't understand why the proprietary driver will not load on 12.04 and Wheezy.

Beans

I tried the following on that old machine: Debian Wheezy, worked out of the box, loaded Nouveau. Then I tried Xubuntu 12.04-weird artifacts, Lubuntu 12.04-weird artifacts, Peppermint-looked better, but a few weird artifacts, then Linux Lite and it looked great. Debian is a bit more stripped down than Ubuntu, so I wonder if they changed something. Also, I loaded Ubuntu 10.04 and it looked great, and asked to install the Nvidia driver, but I have a wireless dongle on that machine that 10.04 wouldn't recognize. I'm curious if it would be possible to install 10.04 and then upgrade to 12.04 without losing that driver, but I have the machine the way I want it now and don't want to experiment with it at this point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12