Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pentium 4, Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Pentium 4, Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420

I had the inevitable request to do something with an aging PC running XP, so I put Lubuntu on it (on a separate drive).

However, there were some issues when displaying icons and highlighted text. Running the file manager, some directories and files would come up with icons and some would not. Hovering the mouse over where the icon should be would sometimes show the icon for that item, but then an icon (or 2) might disappear for other items. There didn't appear to be any consistency.

In addition, the highlighted text in the left hand pane of the file manager didn't have a background colour of the selected item and as the text is normally white, there was just a faint green "shadow" on the text, meaning it was difficult to read. This seemed to happen on other dialogs as well - because I went to change the theme / window decorations to see if that would help and it didn't seem to. At this stage I was running out of time, so didn't go into things too deeply.

As it was, I had to leave it and the PC is back to XP for now (yeah, I know).

I don't know what CPU spec this thing had, but it's a 12 year old Dell Dimension, with 1GB RAM. I thought that would be enough to run Lubuntu, so am a bit perplexed by the display issues.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How low (spec) can you go?

1 GB RAM is adequate for Lubuntu. But if you specify also

CPU
    graphics chip/card
    wifi chip/card

it will be easier to help. See also this link

Old hardware brought back to life

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, I'll have to ask about the Gfx card. I think the CPU is a 2.66GHz Pentium 4. No wifi card.

Beans
    Hidden!

2.66GHz Pentium 4 is OK

Beans
    Hidden!

Some old XP computers suffered with sis graphic cards which are not well supported by Linux at all. You may get it to work,though it may be in low graphics mode or low resolution, but if that is the card in question it may have even more difficulties.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Also recently had an old Dell and the graphics were crap with Ubuntu. You have plenty of ram. I would try Debian or Linux Lite. Those both had good graphics on the old Dell I tried them on. It had a video card that hasn't been supported since Ubuntu 10.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

The problem with SIS graphics is solved in 14.04:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2215422

Dave, XP is unsupported and hence a security risk. Please post a detailed specification of your hardware - it's very likely that we will get Lubuntu to work.
    http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/m/msinfo32.htm

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Yes, Lubuntu should work fine.

I run lubuntu-core on a 12 year old Dell P4@1.7GHz and half a gig of ram.

Beans

Good news about Sis, I lost support after Ubuntu 11.10 on one of my computers because of that and had to switch to Debian, but found that Linux Lite now works on that computer, I'm guessing a newer kernel.
    Had trouble with an old Dell using Nvidia and found Debian and Linux Lite worked on it, but not Ubuntu.
    Last edited by KBD47; April 14th, 2014 at 11:51 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dave0109 View Post
    Lubuntu on it (on a separate drive).
    However, there were some issues when displaying icons and highlighted text. Running the file manager, some directories and files would come up with icons and some would not. Hovering the mouse over where the icon should be would sometimes show the icon for that item, but then an icon (or 2) might disappear for other items. There didn't appear to be any consistency.
    In addition, the highlighted text in the left hand pane of the file manager didn't have a background colour of the selected item and as the text is normally white, there was just a faint green "shadow" on the text, meaning it was difficult to read. This seemed to happen on other dialogs as well - because I went to change the theme / window decorations to see if that would help and it didn't seem to. At this stage I was running out of time, so didn't go into things too deeply.
    Humm, the description of display errors looks similar to what I got with a Nvidia Geforce2MX : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2168979 which refer to the bug with Nouveau drivers: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=51477
    May affect all Geforce 2/3/4 cards. So I updated this topic.
    If you have such a card, bad luck, you should stick with an older version of Lubuntu, e.g. LXLE or Zorin OS if you want LXDE. More details on mörgæs topic mentioned by sudodus
    The rest of the config is more than fine and Lubuntu should run much smoother than Win XP*: with 1 GB of RAM, it would be more than comfortable. And with a P4, you have SSE2 support, so no brainer here (flash player crash without, bad for Athlon XP CPUs)
    *: especially because you don't need these 100 AV/Anti malware SW which slow down your computer!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast