Thread: Can't find my Hard drives

Beans

Can't find my Hard drives

I trued the disk utility it doesn't see the dditional drives
    I have Ubunto on a 1TB drive and now I am trying to copy the files and data from old NTFS and FAT32 drives.

My Bios sees the drives

I don't even know what a HD is designated as in Ubunto so I'm a little lost but using the disk utility I can see the 1TB drive and the optical CD/DVD just fine

How to get Ubunto to see the other hard drives?

Beans

Re: Can't find my Hard drives

Hello, McCai.

The best way to see what has been partitioned is to use the command "fdisk -l" to list the partitions. Look for one that says "no valid partition", this will be your new drive.

Read the section carefully, it should say "/dev/sdb", which is the physical volume. Once you add a partition to it, you can format it, and it will show up as "/dev/sdb1" which you can mount.

Beans

You have confused me. You are talking about partitions and formatting and all I want to do is to get data from an older IDE drive and copyu it to my 1TB drive. Is it necessary to access the partitions to do this
    Is Fdisk in ubuntu the same thing as it is in DOS?
    I just want to see the drive and get at the files on it.

When I enter "sudo Fdisk -l" I get this and no "/dev/sdb":

OMITTED-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo fdisk -l
    [sudo] password for OMITTED:

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 1953525167 976762583+ ee GPT

Disk /dev/mapper/cryptswap1: 17.1 GB, 17116954624 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2081 cylinders, total 33431552 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x55810c0d

Disk /dev/mapper/cryptswap1 doesn't contain a valid partition table
    OMITTED@OMITTED-System-Product-Name:~$

Now about identifyinig a hard drive are they /dev/sda and dev/sdb and dev/sdc with a b c d e f g etc., the designations?
    What about when I'm in the Home Folder? Would other drives appear there? If so what would the icon and designation be?
    Last edited by McCai; April 14th, 2014 at 06:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Your output is showing that your Ubuntu system can only see your 1TB hard-drive.

Tell us more about these other "drives". You say IDE and that your BIOS can see them. Have you plugged them straight into the motherboard via an IDE connector? Or have you put them in a USB enclosure and plugged them in via USB? Either way, Ubuntu is not seeing them.

As a general principle, you don't need disk utility to see NTFS and FAT32 partitions whether they are on the main drive or on secondary or USB drives. If they are on partitions on internal hard-drives you simply click on them in the left pane of the file manager and they are mounted read-write. If USB, they are automounted as soon as you plug them in. In your case something is not happening, but you need to provide more information.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

McCai, I'm sorry for the confusion, I was trying to help determine if the drives were even listed, and then whether the OS understood the formatting. From your posting, it appears that ti only sees the one TB drive.

CoffeeCat is heading you down the correct path.