Thread: Chrome freezing my system (14.04)

Beans

Chrome freezing my system (14.04)

So I'm having some weird chrome issues since I last updated two says ago. I'm running Google Chrome 44.0.2403.107 on 14.04 LTS (up to date). What will happen is that sometimes browsing is fine (we just watched like 4 hours of NCIS) and sometimes it will just freeze everything. It seems to me that when it freezes, the system might keep working to a degree, but the graphics output locks, so I can't really tell (reboots don't seem to work, so it might be locking down entirely).

It happens every time when i access my history, or an aboutlugins page or just about anything else system related. A few forums have suggested hitting aboutlugins and checking to see if there's only one version of flash running, but since I can't get at the page without locking my system up, I’m sort of at a loss there. There was a very good suggestion to hit chrome://settings and deselect hardware acceleration but - you guessed it. Can't get at it. I checked ~/config/google-chrome/Defaults/Preferences for hardware acceleration, but either it's not there or I don't know what to look for (it's a pretty big file).

Obviously it ran fine before the update. Any thoughts?

Beans

Re: Chrome freezing my system (14.04)

UPDATE: the shutdown -r now DID actually work (i had to type it in ahead of time and trigger a freeze since I was running it blind and I wanted to rule out typoes). I hit history, settings, and then history again before the freeze happened, so it's not 100%.

Beans

Re: Chrome freezing my system (14.04)

New Chrome version: Google Chrome 44.0.2403.125

Still crashing. Deeply troubling.