Thread: How can I get out of Windowmaker and back to Gnome without an Application Menu?

Beans

How can I get out of Windowmaker and back to Gnome without an Application Menu?

I'm really stuck and would greatly appreciate some help to get home to my safe place!

I logged in to Windowmaker last night to have a look at it and, once suitably appalled, tried to return to the comfort of my Gnome desktop only to find that I cannot.

There is nothing whatsoever in the Wmaker application menu and I can't figure out how to put Sessions in it from the config icon thingy. When I reboot the computer takes me straight to wmaker with no option to login in to another environment.

I don't know what command will log me out of wmaker - tried logout, halt, shutdown etc...

I can find plenty of advice on how to INSTALL wmaker or use virtual desktops (ctrl-alt-f7 etc)

But nothing on how to get out of it.
    Last edited by bigell63; April 14th, 2014 at 03:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How can I get out of Windowmaker and back to Gnome without an Application Menu?

Have you tried while being logged in WM
    Key SeQ "control+alt+F1"
    You then you can try.
    Code:
       exec gnome-session &
    or even.
    Code:
    gnome-session
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Beans

Re: How can I get out of Windowmaker and back to Gnome without an Application Menu?

Thank you runrickus.

I tried that and got a fatal server error - another window manager is already running

I tried unity --reset and got the same error which necessitated me deleting a file called X)-lock from /tmp. I'm going to restart and try at login time and see if I can get the login screen back.

I can get my gnome desktop back with the command you gave me, but the dash etc are missing.

Beans

Okay I did it.

I ran :

Code:
     killall wmaker && gnome
    and got dropped back to the login screen and GNome and Unity have loaded properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Please mark the thread as Solved using the Thread Tools at the top right of the page !
    Last edited by su:bhatta; April 16th, 2014 at 07:49 PM.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

Thank you su:bhatta. I didn't know how to do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

No problem bigell63.

In case you are interested, all you had to do was to do a right mouse-click in the desktop.
    That would have opened up the menu, and you would have to choose 'Exit' (last option in the menu) to get out of the Window maker session.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !