Thread: Display Driver

Beans

Display Driver

I upgraded from 13.10 to 14.04 last week and just wondered what Display Driver I should be using.
    I have an NVIDIA GeForce 450 Graphics Card and am presently using X.Org X server-Nouveau display driver.
    On a previous upgrade I tried using a NVIDIA Driver and had considerable problems.
    Should I try the NVIDIA binary driver-Version 331.38 or should I stay with what I have?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Display Driver

14.04 won't be released yet, so even though its pretty much final, there's still bug fixes that will be happening. You can try the binary driver, if that works better, stick with it, otherwise keep the other one. I would highly suggest waiting until 14.04 comes out.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You can use any driver you want. Any driver that works best for you. If you play games (e.g. on steam) you should use the nvidia driver rather nouveau. If you don't play Steam games nouveau will work just fine for the everyday use. (Watching videos..etc).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Are you familiar with Recovery mode? You may need to use it if you still have problems with the proprietary video driver. For those who do not know, select Recovery mode from the Advanced Options for Ubuntu sub-menu and at the Recovery menu select Resume. That should load to a desktop without using a proprietary video driver. At the desktop we can use Additional Drivers to experiment with video drivers.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks for your help.