Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3.15rc1

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 3.15rc1

Hi

@lonniehenry-gmail

I had a play with the wl driver for an hour or so last night and got it to build and work.

Code:
     matthew-S206:/home/matthew:0 % uname -r && lspci -nnk | pbl Wireless && nm-tool | pbl Device && ping -c1 192.168.0.1
    3.15.0-031500rc1-generic
    03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
            Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device [14e4:0587]
            Kernel driver in use: wl
    - Device: eth0  [matt_dlink] ---------------------------------------------------
      Type:              802.11 WiFi
      Driver:            wl
      State:             connected
      Default:           yes
      HW Address:        C0:14:3D:C7:03:C9

PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.19 ms

--- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics ---
    1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.190/1.190/1.190/0.000 ms
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew:0 %
    BTW: If you're interested in what pbl is (above), it's a bash/zsh function i have declared in my aliases/functions file.

Code:
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew:2 % declare -f pbl
    pbl () {
            sed "/$1/,/^$/!d"
    }
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew:2 %
    I don't know if an offical patch has been released yet so if you interested in what i did to get it to build, here are the details.

I am assuming you have the same setup as me as i have been hacking this driver for a while because it has failed to build after a new kernel release before

You need to edit the file
    Code:
    /usr/src/bcmwl-6.30.223.141+bdcom/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211_hybrid.c
    Goto to line number 1844. It should look like this

Code:
    cfg80211_ibss_joined(ndev, (u8 *)&wl->bssid, GFP_KERNEL);
    Delete that line and add these lines in its place.

Code:
    #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(3, 15, 0)
        cfg80211_ibss_joined(ndev, (u8 *)&wl->bssid, &wl->conf->channel, GFP_KERNEL);
    #else
            cfg80211_ibss_joined(ndev, (u8 *)&wl->bssid, GFP_KERNEL);
    #endif
    Save the file and then you need to build it (this assumes you are using the generic kernel and not the low-latency kernel. Change the commands below if required).

Code:
    sudo dkms build -m bcmwl/6.30.223.141+bdcom -k 3.15.0-031500rc1-generic
    After you have built it you need to install it.

Code:
    sudo dkms install -m bcmwl/6.30.223.141+bdcom -k 3.15.0-031500rc1-generic
    Finally load the module.

Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    Obviously to get the module to build automatically every time a kernel is installed, a patch will need to be created and hooked into the dkms patches framework for the driver.

I have not done this yet because, although i know it builds and works, i have not worked through the code enough to be 100% certain that it is the correct solution.

If you're not sure how to make a patch and hook it into the dkms framework then post back if your interested. I will go through the code some more tomorrow evening and, if i am happy, will produce a patch that we can use until an official patch is released.

On a different note, i have noticed that my Lenovo hangs when resuming from suspend under the .15 kernel. A hard reboot is necessary.

Interestingly, none of the resume hooks are being called and there does not seem to be much in syslog.

Is this affecting anybody else ?

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

matt_symes - I followed your instructions and it worked without a problem. I now have some idea how to fix this in the future by altering the files if the problem happens with new kernels. I should be able to build against the new kernel using the altered bcmwl file. Thank you.
    Last edited by lonniehenry-gmail; April 16th, 2014 at 01:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Let me just put my 1st „complaint“ on kernel in long time (not a big one, obviously): not working UDF support for DVD... Took me a couple of minutes to figure it out, until I, finally, got the idea to try official 3.13...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by lonniehenry-gmail View Post
    matt_symes - I followed your instructions and it worked without a problem. I now have some idea how to fix this in the future by altering the files if the problem happens with new kernels. I should be able to build against the new kernel using the altered bcmwl file. Thank you.
    I'm glad it worked for you as well.

Altering the code as we did is not really the best way to do it.

Ideally a patch is created and hooked into the dkms framework as the framework runs patches against the virgin code to update that code. It makes distributing changes easier.

But as i eluded to, i have make other changes in the past to this driver to get it work work against new kernels. I did not know if my setup was out of step with yours.

Also I should have been more clear in my last post; i was rather rushed yesterday. The changes we make should still build against future new .15-rcX and .15 kernels, but what we did was not the standard way of making and distributing changes.

I will make a patch, revert my changes to that file, and hook the patch into the dkms framework for the driver. I find it easier to keep track of changes i have made that way. I will do that over the easter weekend and post back after doing it.

In the meantime, assuming the license will allow me - i must check, i intend to update grive (the Google cloud syncing tool) to allow symlinks, and ignore certain file types that are causing it to hang when syncing. I also intend to allow configuration of the syncing directory, so if the driver patch is not completed by next Tuesday you know why

Necessity is the mother of invention now that Ubuntu One is closing down and i'm moving away from Dropbox.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; April 17th, 2014 at 10:39 AM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

its a bit buggy now.
    my pc can not even wake up from S3 and the pulseaudio switches the relay in the Xonar! but everything else looks like ok

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Save the file and then you need to build it (this assumes you are using the generic kernel and not the low-latency kernel. Change the commands below if required).

Code:
    sudo dkms build -m bcmwl/6.30.223.141+bdcom -k 3.15.0-031500rc1-generic
    After you have built it you need to install it.

Code:
    sudo dkms install -m bcmwl/6.30.223.141+bdcom -k 3.15.0-031500rc1-generic
    just a quick note on this section, I had to change 3.15.0-031500rc1-generic to 3.16.0-30-generic for my version of kernel. I found this for my laptop using

Code:
     uname -a
    apart from that change this was a really simple fix to follow and worked first time, cheers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12