Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Ubuntu - it has been . . . frustrating.

Beans

Goodbye Ubuntu - it has been . . . frustrating.

Well, it's been a few years since I left windows and started using Ubuntu. There are many things I've enjoyed. But ultimatly I spend far too much time trying to get things to work. My wife is visually impaired and easily frustrated with technology. While I may be able to deal with the constant "fixing" of ubuntu (i plan on keeping it on my laptop) she just wants it to work. She used the enhanced zoom desktop and negative in compiz, unless they randomly stopped working. which was all the time. shortcuts would change or stop working. It got to a point where i was spending hours digging through forums, trying various things, and still nothing. Or i would get it to work and then the next update it would stop working again.

I love the idea behind ubuntu, and it has made some great strides since I started using it. That being said, it just isn't ready for primetime. It seems like the developers need to unify vision, so that updates don't break other functionality. compiz seems like a great example, it is part of ubbuntu but not part of ubuntu. either support it or don't. don't offer features that only "maybe" or "kind of" will work.

As I said, I like Ubuntu and will continue to use it on my laptop. Although it is worth pointing out that i'm typing this on the dual boot windows i have on my laptop, since i wanted to watch netflix.

To sum up, my only thoughts (and these are thoughts from someone who does not know anything about software development, so take them for what they're worth) is that Ubuntu should focus on making things they have work instead of coming out with new features. If it doesn't work, it will never stand a chance of competing - features aside. I realize that a lot of this involves third parties supporting linux - so i know this isn't completely ubuntu's fault. That being said, I was ready and willing to accept linux into my life. And i spent years trying and finally gave up. Just make it work.

thanks guys, i'll still be lurking, using it on my laptop.

Beans

Re: Goodbye Ubuntu - it has been . . . frustrating.

It's about using what works for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

I feel bad that things didn't work well for your system(s), but do what you gotta do. Find what works for you. I hope you try Ubuntu again and see if your issues have been resolved. If you're still looking into Linux try Debian, Fedora, or even openSuSE.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It's always sad when people judge the entire Buntu family from their experience with Ubuntu. If one wants stability above all then staying on the Xubuntu LTS track is a better idea.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dystopias View Post
    Well, it's been a few years since I left windows and started using Ubuntu. There are many things I've enjoyed. But ultimatly I spend far too much time trying to get things to work. My wife is visually impaired and easily frustrated with technology. While I may be able to deal with the constant "fixing" of ubuntu (i plan on keeping it on my laptop) she just wants it to work. She used the enhanced zoom desktop and negative in compiz, unless they randomly stopped working. which was all the time. shortcuts would change or stop working. It got to a point where i was spending hours digging through forums, trying various things, and still nothing. Or i would get it to work and then the next update it would stop working again.

I love the idea behind ubuntu, and it has made some great strides since I started using it. That being said, it just isn't ready for primetime. It seems like the developers need to unify vision, so that updates don't break other functionality. compiz seems like a great example, it is part of ubbuntu but not part of ubuntu. either support it or don't. don't offer features that only "maybe" or "kind of" will work.

As I said, I like Ubuntu and will continue to use it on my laptop. Although it is worth pointing out that i'm typing this on the dual boot windows i have on my laptop, since i wanted to watch netflix.

To sum up, my only thoughts (and these are thoughts from someone who does not know anything about software development, so take them for what they're worth) is that Ubuntu should focus on making things they have work instead of coming out with new features. If it doesn't work, it will never stand a chance of competing - features aside. I realize that a lot of this involves third parties supporting linux - so i know this isn't completely ubuntu's fault. That being said, I was ready and willing to accept linux into my life. And i spent years trying and finally gave up. Just make it work.

thanks guys, i'll still be lurking, using it on my laptop.
    Linux can be frustrating. Building a new release is like a bunch of carpenters building a house. They've got a plan, and the materials ready at hand, and when someone blows the whistle, the dust, and racket of sawing and hammering on the new release is a blizzard of activity. Unfortunately, another house needs to be built in six months, and the crew needs to move on when the whistle blows again, whether they are done or not.

Not the best of planning, or execution of the plan, but, that's the way it is. Unfortunately, they leave unfinished/untested bits and pieces laying around the old project, and there is a distinct debris trail from one project to the next. It's been that way since I became involved with Linux, and it probably will never change. In my experience, users either buy into that inexactness, or it drives them nuts, and they move back to a commercial product such as Windows.

Which brings me to my point. There seems to be a lot of "either/or" philosophies here on the forums regarding Windows vs Linux. Personally, I think the concept of "and" works just fine. I have one computer that runs Linux only, I have another that dual boots Linux and Windows 7, and my wife has one that runs Windows only (with the unveiled threat, that if I try to install anything on it without her permission, there will be "hell to pay").

As others have said, use whatever works, and don't worry about apologizing for the decision. It's all good.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

But ultimatly I spend far too much time trying to get things to work. My wife is visually impaired and easily frustrated with technology. While I may be able to deal with the constant "fixing" of ubuntu (i plan on keeping it on my laptop) she just wants it to work. She used the enhanced zoom desktop and negative in compiz, unless they randomly stopped working. which was all the time. shortcuts would change or stop working. It got to a point where i was spending hours digging through forums, trying various things, and still nothing. Or i would get it to work and then the next update it would stop working again.
    I've been running 12.04 for the past couple of years and have not been having problems with getting things to work, or with things not working following updates. I guess the OP has things set up differently than I do here; I don't know anything about "the enhanced zoom desktop and negative in compiz." I don't use any desktop shortcuts, if that's what the OP is referring to with the comment that "shortcuts would change or stop working." I haven't noticed problems with any of my Unity Launcher items, anyway. For me, 12.04 has simply been a very solid installation. Is it just me? I get the impression sometimes that other people are seeing stability issues that I'm not seeing here, and I'm not sure why that is.

That being said, it just isn't ready for primetime.
    Back when I was starting out with Linux (wow, 9 years ago already!), an IT guy at my job told me that "Linux isn't ready for prime time." I'm still not exactly sure what it means when people say something like that, because that IT guy's comments didn't deter me, and I've been using Linux at home ever since. I gave away my last Windows computer to a relative, some years back. I'm thinking that maybe my computer usage here at home is not, and has never been, connected with "prime time." Maybe I still don't know enough about computers to understand whether an operating system is "ready for prime time" or not.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCrate View Post
    As others have said, use whatever works, and don't worry about apologizing for the decision. It's all good.
    +1 to that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    It's always sad when people judge the entire Buntu family from their experience with Ubuntu. If one wants stability above all then staying on the Xubuntu LTS track is a better idea.
    Ubuntu is the only 'official' version (as in paid devs etc) and the one punted the most by canonical, it's suppose to be their flagship and that's what people gravitate towards.

Sadly people will have a bad impression if things don't work and they will dump it and not consider the likes of xubuntu. XFCE has an incredibly stable desktop environment compared to other DE's, add LTS or something like Debian Stable to to that mix and you end up with a very reliable desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Given your need for specific support, it makes obvious sense to go where you can find that. Nothing wrong there. Good luck.

Homebrew adaptations and fixes are vulnerable to being broken by updates, in any OS. It's the nature of the software business, particularly the desktop arena, that change is rewarded. If MS or Apple or Canonical announce a new version with no new features, they will be soundly and roundly panned.

Software updaters generally aren't aware of changes users have made, either.

A distribution like RHEL/CentOS, provides considerable stability at the cost of design and functionality from several years ago.

I'm not at all a Compiz fan or expert, but it's my impression that Canonical's interest in maintaining it is just to support Unity.

Beans

This isn't really a response to the OP but a high-five to those who have posted. It's refreshing to see a Linux community that's willing to say "use whatever works best for your needs" rather than "oh then you're using it wrong" or some such thing like that. Rock on guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

You might want to look at a distro designed especially for accessibility and assistive technology. http://sonargnulinux.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast