Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Been a Nice Run!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It's Been a Nice Run!

Well, i re-upgraded (or re-installed using the iso option of installing but carrying over your data and most of your programs) last week and now taking 14.04 into it's final week to release
    The re-upgrade went pretty well, though this time it was necessary to re-install several extra programs that didn't make it through...As usual, all data made if over and all PERSONAL settings (which saves a lot of time when re-installing the missing apps)...

I decided that this would be my last run in development...from this point forward, i will just upgrade to each new final release, and as such roll into each new version as they arrive...
    It's certainly been an interesting experience, though....I did it for the first time with 13.10 and then this time with 14.04...

Though i won't be an ACTIVE participator in Development, i will of course read the posts in Ubuntu +1 about each new coming version...i love to follow it's progress...14.04 will be an AWESOME release

Beans

Re: It's Been a Nice Run!

I've said that 4 or 5 times, but I always come back

I'll bet by July you'll be jonesing for some intense testing

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I've said that 4 or 5 times, but I always come back

I'll bet by July you'll be jonesing for some intense testing
    or sooner...

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, i know it will always be tempting to come back
    Kind of like that Chocolate Eclair in the fridge that "calls to you" in the middle of the night

However, i am going to do my best to resist...
    Last edited by craig10x; April 14th, 2014 at 02:33 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Yeah, i know it will always be tempting to come back
    Kind of like that Chocolate Eclair in the fridge that "calls to you" in the middle of the night

However, i am going to do my best to resist...
    It can be done, I've managed to sit-off this time and (even though I've been using 13.10 full of latest ppas (MESA and other stuff so there were times I was even ahead of U+1 on this 13.10)) I am contemplating upgrade these days... It was weird but I've made it... I'm a bit fearing upgrade of this 13.10 install, can not even imagine it will go smoothly to 14.04... Boy what stuff has been added and tweaked on this install... It would be a shame to spoil all that... Been watching You guys and girls and enjoying Your smooth ride too..

Beans
    Hidden!

It has been a hoot this time I learn and grow each testing cycle.
    Some of what I learned this release is never and I mean never call ventrical
    wait for it.
    Ventricalese

Beans
    Distro

@zika: I actually upgraded (using the iso installer) from 13.10 into 14.04 development and just a week ago, popped in the latest daily build of 14.04 and "re-upgraded" it again so that my data and most of my apps would come over with it and save the extra work...i know i could have just ridden it into the final release with the updates, but wanted to "clean it up" a bit and i am always chicken about doing that manually as i know you can...i prefer ubuntu to do it for me (which it did quite well)...this time though, the upgrade wasn't able to carry over as many programs as it usually does....

Instead of only having to re-install 2 programs, i had about 7 to re-install...but since all personal settings always seem to get carried over, once they are re-installed, they were good to go
    You could give it a try when 14.04 is released....worse case scenario: you will just have to do a clean install...
    That's how i always go into these upgrades...I have my important data backed up on a flash drive, so if things really go wrong, i am prepared to clean install, though so far i have been pretty lucky with these

@runrickus: ventricalese? Too Funny
    Last edited by craig10x; April 14th, 2014 at 03:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm happy that I've finally jumped in the wagon this afternoon in a very specific way of upgrade... I did not miss much of action as You guys and girls gave me all details... Due to more important job(s) that requested stable machine I've been out of this cycle...
    Is „devel“ (in sources.list) branch working stable now? I'm kind of trigger-happy after this abstinence period...
    To be sincere, I did not miss any milestone, but it was used in 13.10 not in U+1... That is the reason I had so many ppas and why I've chosen path of upgrade that is totally empty most of the time...
    Last edited by zika; April 14th, 2014 at 08:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Glad to hear you have arrived

Well, in your situation, i can certainly understand taking that pathway...i only have 1 ppa (Google Chrome) and run a pretty stock ubuntu (except for minor tweaks using the built in settings, such as unity auto hide, icon pixel size, that sort of thing)...so that's why i use the iso upgrade route...i may get adventureous when it's time to upgrade to 14.10 final, by using the software updater method (never tried that one) to see how that will compare to using the iso method...

I think you will find 14.04 to be really solid with lots of nice refinements

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Glad to hear you have arrived

Well, in your situation, i can certainly understand taking that pathway...i only have 1 ppa (Google Chrome) and run a pretty stock ubuntu (except for minor tweaks using the built in settings, such as unity auto hide, icon pixel size, that sort of thing)...so that's why i use the iso upgrade route...i may get adventureous when it's time to upgrade to 14.10 final, by using the software updater method (never tried that one) to see how that will compare to using the iso method...

I think you will find 14.04 to be really solid with lots of nice refinements
    As I've been reading all the stuff, I do not feel I was gone...
    This was a path of upgrade completely in CLI and with no help other than dpkg, apt and good luck...
    Now I know it can be done very easily but with lot of patience...
    Yes, I've noticed some refinements but no major stuff since I had it all already installed...
    Next cycle could be more intersting (non-LTS...)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast