Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: cannot open nautilus with gksu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: cannot open nautilus with gksu

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    That is indeed ironic and strange! I remember the last time I used gksudo gedit before I seen this thread I got a bunch of warnings in terminal.

But no output whatsoever in terminal now. I'm not usually the one without problems.
    I have always seen those errors due to themes or icons Using the sudo command!
    But I guess it is my turn this time for the problems>LOL
    Thats Ok my shoulders are broad.
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one" Benjamin Franklin

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    I have always seen those errors due to themes or icons Using the sudo command!
    But I guess it is my turn this time for the problems>LOL
    Thats Ok my shoulders are broad.
    Good thing lol!

They are the same or one would logically think they were since they are symlinked.

Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/gksudo 
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Oct  2  2012 /usr/bin/gksudo -> gksu
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Precise 12.04 | Trusty 14.04 | Vivid Mate 15.04 | Mint Rebecca 17.1 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ok that one hurt my head!(not hard to do).
    But My problem comes from disabling zeitgeist after undoing what I did, and a reboot all is good again!
    This thing with Zeitgeist bothers me greatly though. (data gathering)
    Seems we live in an age where everybody wants to snoop.
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one" Benjamin Franklin

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    Ok that one hurt my head!(not hard to do).
    But My problem comes from disabling zeitgeist after undoing what I did, and a reboot all is good again!
    This thing with Zeitgeist bothers me greatly though. (data gathering)
    Seems we live in an age where everybody wants to snoop.
    Oh noz! I had no idea about zeitgeist. Here I go removing that pesky little critter.
    It's pretty amazing the snooping, I know what you mean. The social networking sites track you whether you have a login to them or not.
    I use Disconnect on Chromium and Ghostery on Firefox. Collusion on Chromium also blocks tracking sites.
    People have even developed add-ons in Firefox to block the 3 biggest snooping sites. Not sure if I can mention all of them on here or not.
    So, I won't. But it's amazing what Collusion shows how sites feed sites you are not even on after you've done some surfing.
    Precise 12.04 | Trusty 14.04 | Vivid Mate 15.04 | Mint Rebecca 17.1 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Oh noz! I had no idea about zeitgeist. Here I go removing that pesky little critter.
    It's pretty amazing the snooping, I know what you mean. The social networking sites track you whether you have a login to them or not.
    I use Disconnect on Chromium and Ghostery on Firefox. Collusion on Chromium also blocks tracking sites.
    People have even developed add-ons in Firefox to block the 3 biggest snooping sites. Not sure if I can mention all of them on here or not.
    So, I won't. But it's amazing what Collusion shows how sites feed sites you are not even on after you've done some surfing.
    If you are using unity at all removing Zeitgeist will leave you with broken stuff!
    I do not use unity and from raring to trusty my method of disabling or crippling Zeitgeist has not been a problem till a couple of days ago.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Zeitgeist doesn't phone home with any user information, it's only there to help make it easier for you to repeat an action the you do often. it can be configured in System Settings->Security & Privacy. See this Wikipedia article. A little bit of paranoia is a good thing, but this is getting ridiculous.

Beans

This has actually been going on for a while on new installs, initally a root nautilus brower will fail with error in orig. post.
    (probably dozens of reports about. -
    ERROR:nautilus-window.c:2116:nautilus_window_get_slots: assertion failed: (NAUTILUS_IS_WINDOW (window))
    At least here does start working at some point, maybe restarts, maybe something else.

Just did a fresh install (took forever as 04/13 amd64 image was uninstallable due to a policykit/dbus issue
    Finally went with 04/14 i386 which did install & see the same deal, gksudo nautilus fails on that error (I also have nautilus-pkexec which also fails.

Got it going after several attempts & restarts though maybe it was running something else successfully with gksudo that did the trick
    (in this case gksudo gedit worked, then gksudo nautilus & nautilus-pkexec started working.
    Last edited by mc4man; April 15th, 2014 at 06:49 AM. Reason: forgot un

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

With all due respect privacy is never ridiculous! Nor would I classify it paranoia.
    There are plenty who feel the same.
    Thanks for the info though.
    @mc4man Thanks for the comfirmations on the gksu and gksudo.
    Regards

Beans
    Distro

So I guess I am fortunate that I have absolutely no problems with gksu or gksudo nautilus/gedit. I think I'll just leave this install as is.

Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ ls -ld /var/log/installer | awk '{ print $6 " " $7 " " $8 }'
    Mar 10 10:38
    I have another partition about 40GB I might install Trusty on after final release just because.

Went to reinstall zeitgeist-core and it's already there. I'm pretty sure it jumped back on here by itself. But, from what cariboo907 said I'm not going to worry about it.

I don't use Unity unless I have to so that would not be an issue for me. So I'm good to go.

I have been able to stay on Trusty all day and it's acting like an LTS should.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    This has actually been going on for a while on new installs, initally a root nautilus brower will fail with error in orig. post.
    (probably dozens of reports about. -

At least here does start working at some point, maybe restarts, maybe something else.

Just did a fresh install (took forever as 04/13 amd64 image was uninstallable due to a policykit/dbus issue
    Finally went with 04/14 i386 which did install & see the same deal, gksudo nautilus fails on that error (I also have nautilus-pkexec which also fails.

Got it going after several attempts & restarts though maybe it was running something else successfully with gksudo that did the trick
    (in this case gksudo gedit worked, then gksudo nautilus & nautilus-pkexec started working.

it's working ok , off and on .. and after todays update .. but then this behaviour fist started I noticed an apport box in the top left hand corner after updates from 3 days ago. Still persistent. I go to report it an it goes nowhere.

Not sure if it has any thing related to original bug.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast