Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting at the beginning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Starting at the beginning

Quote Originally Posted by Goten0007 View Post
    If you're talking about programs and games they are not likely to run under Ubuntu either. You can try Win and PlayonLinux, but I suggest first you look in their testing list if those were successfully ran or not.
    Or you could try the ultimate challenge and try to find Open Source alternatives to everything you use. I personally can vouch that it is possible, and if you achieve it it can be quite rewarding. I've been using exclusively open source for over a year.

In regards to installing ubuntu, I would recommend installing it to a portable hard drive disk first, which means when you want to use it you just boot from the hdd. This means that you can easily reboot into your internal drive and keep using Windows 7.

Wine has a great database that rates apps on compatibility, but I can not vouch for playonlinux as I've never used it.
    “Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.” - Rich Cook.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I would recommend Clonezilla which can make a copy of your Windows 7 in case you find that would want to go back to that.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan_Cameron View Post
    Or you could try the ultimate challenge and try to find Open Source alternatives to everything you use. I personally can vouch that it is possible, and if you achieve it it can be quite rewarding. I've been using exclusively open source for over a year.

In regards to installing ubuntu, I would recommend installing it to a portable hard drive disk first, which means when you want to use it you just boot from the hdd. This means that you can easily reboot into your internal drive and keep using Windows 7.

Wine has a great database that rates apps on compatibility, but I can not vouch for playonlinux as I've never used it.
    Yeah, that's what I did too, I don't even install Wine anymore. But OP's requirment here was ''preserving those old software/games as he likes/ is used to them and don't want to give up on them''

But seriously, like Jordan said, you can have very good Linux alternative for pretty much everything (except something like Auto-CAD )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, that's what I did too, I don't even install Wine anymore. But OP's requirment here was ''preserving those old software/games as he likes/ is used to them and don't want to give up on them''

But seriously, like Jordan said, you can have very good Linux alternative for pretty much everything (except something like Auto-CAD )
    Some folks want to embrace opensource, but are 'stuck' on some both old and new standbys. I still use Windows 7 for my tax program, iPhone / iTunes, Photo Shop. I know Tax Act offers an online version but I feel much more comfortable using an installed version. My search for a reasonable iTunes replacement was pretty unproductive. The learning curve to adopt Gimp to replace Photo Shop was much more than I was willing to endure.

I started my open source adoption while using Windows 7 - Thunderbird replaced Outlook, Open Office replaced M$ Office, on line Mint replaced M$ Money. Taking a slow approach made the switch easier for me. I used Solaris / Unix in my work environment prior to retiring 4 years ago - learning Linux took some effort also.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty
    Dell laptop | Intel Celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | Trusty
    Regards, Pete

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12