Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting at the beginning

Beans

Question Starting at the beginning

I have been introduced to Ubuntu by a friend and like it. I have an unused laptop currently working Windows7 which I would like to use to run Ubuntu. Reason being I have many old disks which I used under XP and which do not run under the newer Windows. I will be happy to format the hard drive and start from scratch with Ubuntu. Alternatively I also have a spare external drive which I could use to boot from?
    If I boot Ubuntu from a CD can I remove it and replace it with others Cd's? Any guidance as to the best route to follow which gives the least hassle? Many thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Starting at the beginning

Welcome to Ubuntu and the forums!
    Are the disks you are wanting to use programs or games?
    If you could explain in more detail it would be easier to give you some guidance.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by dog_eared View Post
    If I boot Ubuntu from a CD can I remove it and replace it with others Cd's?
    Not quite sure what you mean by that. But, first, you will need a DVD or a USB stick. The Ubuntu install image is too large for a CD.

You can certainly remove the Ubuntu DVD/USB and insert and boot from a DVD/USB containing another operating system.

When you boot the DVD/USB you will be given a choice to install Ubuntu or to use it in what is called Live Mode. That means run Ubuntu off the DVD or USB, without installing it. It's intended as a way to try out Ubuntu to see it it is to your liking. (Live Mode off a USB is considerably faster than off a DVD.)

If/when you decide to install Ubuntu, you will see choices to install it along side any operating system that is already on the system (typically, this means dual-booting with Windows), or to replace any existing operating system (this erases that OS and any and all user files and programs), or an option to do "Something Else" (this allows the user to partition the drive(s) as he or she chooses).

Windows programs do not run on Linux, just as they do not run on OS X, or vice versa. However, a collection of tools called Wine is available for Linux that enables a rather limited number of Windows programs to run on Linux, with varying degrees of success. If you need or want to run a range of Windows programs, I'd recommend staying with Windows.

Beans

If you boot ubuntu from cd, yes of course you can run other cd's as well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dog_eared View Post
    I have been introduced to Ubuntu by a friend and like it. I have an unused laptop currently working Windows7 which I would like to use to run Ubuntu. Reason being I have many old disks which I used under XP and which do not run under the newer Windows. I will be happy to format the hard drive and start from scratch with Ubuntu. Alternatively I also have a spare external drive which I could use to boot from?
    I respectively suggest that you install Ubuntu on the external drive - that will enable you still use Win 7 (explore compatability mode). I have found a couple of applications that don't have a Linux replacement for which I'm willing to undergo the steep learning curve - Photo Shop being one, another is iTunes.

If I boot Ubuntu from a CD can I remove it and replace it with others Cd's? Any guidance as to the best route to follow which gives the least hassle? Many thanks.
    If your intention is to boot a live Ubuntu DVD and while running Ubuntu remove it to play music CDs - the answer is NO.
    On the other hand if you install Ubuntu on either hard drive the CD / DVD player will be free to use.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | Win 7 + Trusty
    Regards, Pete

Beans

Thanks Gifford for welcome and reply. Sorry have not acknowledged sooner have been away. The old disks I have are many and various. I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to letting go of old software which works perfectly well and suits my usage. regards

Beans

Thanks for reply BuzzR Sorry have not acknowledged sooner have been away. I am sorry did mean DVD. Thanks for explanation

Beans

Thnks. Sorry have not acknowledged sooner have been away.

Beans

Many tks for reply. Sorry have not acknowledged sooner have been away. I like the idea of booting from an external drive. Your suggestion to use compatability mode leaves me cold as from my experience it never seems to work for me. regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you're talking about programs and games they are not likely to run under Ubuntu either. You can try Win and PlayonLinux, but I suggest first you look in their testing list if those were successfully ran or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast