Thread: libavformat54

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

libavformat54

I have the moc ffmpeg installed for now.
    Not being upgraded
    Code:
    The following packages have been kept back:
      libavformat54
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one" Benjamin Franklin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: libavformat54

Sheese what an ordeal!! Finally just fed up and hand compiled fffmpeg by hand.
    If you are as adventurous as I am, and know what you are getting yourself into Here is the the method I use,Before proceeding be sure to remove the moc-ffmpeg pkg, and install nasm and yasm.
    How to compile ffmpeg.
    Note: When you get to the part of compiling ffmpeg <towards the bottom> it will look as if it is just hung be patient takes a while to populate.
    Then when you are finally finished be sure to run ffmpeg in terminal.
    Works very nice here, It Just Works Better.IMHO
    Last edited by runrickus; April 13th, 2014 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spell
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one" Benjamin Franklin

Beans

I use ffmpeg from https://launchpad.net/~samrog131/+ar..._filter=trusty
    It is up to date (2.1.4) and is real ffmpeg rather than avconv.

The compile guide only builds a local, static version of ffmpeg meant to be used as a standalone ffmpeg, but I need to build it as shared library, it is kind of messy and the system doesn't find the -dev files. Jon Severinsson's ppa is well known but it is horribly out of date because it replaces the system ffmpeg (avconv) and needs to be compatible. Samrog's is installed in /opt, I then use galternative to make it the system default and compile media players with it. I can switch back to the system's if needed.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 12th, 2014 at 07:26 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That PPA is why I'm stuck.
    I'm not sure what issues you are having with compiling from my suggested.
    But Solved everything for me.

Beans

I don't know about trusty, I am using that ppa in 13.10 and have no problem. As trusty is still beta and ppas are not official I expect glitches at this stage, many ppas are not even set up so it will take time for things to settle down, no big deal (so I am not jumping on the 'early bird' bandwagon.)

I have no problem with compiling standalone ffmpeg with that guide but I have a problem when I try to compile other things against it (e.g vlc) since the compiler cannot find the developmental files and it will use the system ones instead so that kind of defeats the purpose. I don't use ffmpeg very much as a standalone application. I use it mostly as a shared library to compile other things.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 12th, 2014 at 08:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I don't know about trusty, I am using that ppa in 13.10 and have no problem. As trusty is still beta and ppa is not official I expect glitches at this stage, so no big deal (so I am not jumping on the 'early bird' bandwagon.)

I have no problem with compiling standalone ffmpeg with that guide but I have a problem when I try to compile other things against it (e.g vlc) since the compiler cannot find the developmental files and it will use the system ones instead so that kind of defeat the purpose. I don't use ffmpeg very much as a standalone application. I use it mostly as a shared library to compile other things.
    Ok Understood!
    But I have no problems with VLC anymore.
    Files that would not work now work beautifully!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have no problem with compiling standalone ffmpeg with that guide but I have a problem when I try to compile other things against it (e.g vlc) since the compiler cannot find the developmental files and it will use the system ones instead so that kind of defeats the purpose.
    That's what the PKG_CONFIG_PATH and/or PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR environment variables are for.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
    That's what the PKG_CONFIG_PATH and/or PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR environment variables are for.
    didn't work. Another problem is apt-get doesn't see them and still insists on installing the -dev files. Anyway my present setup works perfectly and I am not into experimenting with bleeding edge ffmpeg, just need things to work reasonably well and up to date.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 12th, 2014 at 09:15 PM.

Beans

didn't work. Another problem is apt-get doesn't see them and still insists on installing the -dev files.
    If I had my Slackware hat on I would say that this is yet another demonstration of how dependency tracking + installation by a package management system is not freedom but actually a restrictive cage...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

I use ffmpeg from https://launchpad.net/~samrog131/+ar..._filter=trusty
    It is up to date (2.1.4) and is real ffmpeg rather than avconv.
    Perhaps not so up to date, this 2.1 release version was actually taken from the development tree on 2013-10-28 with cherry-picked updates only since that time. The 2.2 release version however was cut from the development tree from 2014-03-01 so is a little more modern.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?