Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why 14.04lts?

Beans

Re: Why 14.04lts?

For me the major benefit is:

• Long support (after the previous LTS support has ended)

I don't like unstable machines, and newer versions do that a lot, despite you will have to surf the web to find help for the new issues.

Beans

I have forgotten, if I do an upgrade to 14.04lts from 12.04 lts it leaves most of my applications, files, printer, intact correct?? I know the clean install is probably best but the upgrade is easier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by rosswmcgee View Post
    I have forgotten, if I do an upgrade to 14.04lts from 12.04 lts it leaves most of my applications, files, printer, intact correct?? I know the clean install is probably best but the upgrade is easier.
    If you have /home on a separate partition then what you say is true. When installing make sure that the "Format this partition?" option is NOT ticked.
    In any case I would definitely do a backup first and don't forget to export your bookmarks first.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

In-place upgrading: All user files and settings are preserved. The location of /home does not matter.

A fresh install : A separate /home is only necessary if you want to install the new version while keeping the user files on the disk.

This being said, an upgrade is a risky step. More advice in the link in my signature.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Just for the heck of it I upgraded to 12.10 and all went well. So I will try the 14.10 lts upgrade and if it works fine if not do a clean install, I moved all my stuff to google cloud.

Come to think of it why ubuntu at all if there is no ubuntu cloud anymore? I really liked that feature.
    Last edited by rosswmcgee; April 14th, 2014 at 01:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by rosswmcgee View Post
    Just for the heck of it I upgraded to 12.10 and all went well. So I will try the 14.10 lts upgrade and if it works fine if not do a clean install, I moved all my stuff to google cloud.

Come to think of it why ubuntu at all if there is no ubuntu cloud anymore? I really liked that feature.
    They dropped Ubuntu One as everyone who specializes in cloud storage is dropping prices like crazy where Canonical just cannot compete anymore. Though I am curious what the future holds as without proper sync between Ubuntu phone, tablet, TV and computer will make the convergence story hog wash.
    We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
    - Linus Torvald

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    In-place upgrading: All user files and settings are preserved. The location of /home does not matter.

A fresh install : A separate /home is only necessary if you want to install the new version while keeping the user files on the disk.

This being said, an upgrade is a risky step. More advice in the link in my signature.
    Not necessary: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/komputes/How...tyPreserveHome

Just saying because I didn't know this for a long time and it's an awesome feature of the installer.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Neither did I. Thanks for posting.
    Well, I think we have to get back on topic, else I have to infract myself for derailing a thread.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    The Mate (Gnome 2 Fork) desktop is included in the 14.04 repository if your looking for a Classic desktop other than flashback . Unity has come a very long way for those who enjoy it. Drop Box has turned out to be an excellent replacement for Ubuntu One for my purposes .
    Well said, I too have found the Dropbox integration to be complete enough to fill in the gap. I can definitely say I enjoy unity where as before I rather disliked it. I have been running the Ubuntu 14.04 Beta 2 for close to a week now [i think] and it's been a very smooth and temperamental-less experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12