Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xterm font size increase so rookie can read man page

Beans

xterm font size increase so rookie can read man page

Hey guys, I managed to get an lubunto image up on a usb stick and it appears to work on my ancient system. I pulled up an xterm but I am old and my eyes can't handle the small type. can you please give me some simple step by step instructions to increase the font size by at least a factor of three. Once I can read things I can dive into the man pages and hopefully I wont have to bother people too much at least with the simple stuff. Thanks a bunch for any help!

Beans

Re: xterm font size increase so rookie can read man page

Edit then Preferences .......... in Lxterminal ..... then the font is as shown below .......

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Monospace on mine and size 10

But .......

sudo apt-get install gnome-terminal

I tend to install gnome-terminal though as it is better ,,,,, starts off bigger too ....... as default ......

That is in Edit - then Profile Preferences - ........

xterm is tiny on mine and but am in KDE ..... cannot see how to alter it ..... unless its a config file somewhere.
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; April 12th, 2014 at 03:54 AM.

Beans

Hi,

It's weird and I don't claim to understand it, but you can try this on the command-line:
    Code:
    xterm -fn -misc-fixed-*-*-*-*-18-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
    This should open up another xterm window with a font of whatever it considers to be sie 18. You can replace that with a different size, if it's too small.

A fair warning however, this is ugly. Is xterm the only thing you can use?

I admit this may not be the best for your situation, but I would try to install "konsole" -- no quotes, of course. Being part of the KDE desktop, installing konsole will also drag a host of additional files, but if you do install it, you'll have a lot of leeway for configuring fonts, sizes and colors.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Some terminal clients like konsole let you increase or decrease the font size by holding down Ctrl and scrolling the mouse wheel. This also works in programs like Firefox. I haven't used LXTerminal for a while, but I seem to recall it worked there as well.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thanks guys, I give these a shot.

Beans
    Hidden!

Konsole is a 228M download on a Lubuntu system, is this really a good idea? I think not.

Be careful about what you install on lubuntu so not to bloat it with gnome or kde dependencies.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Yes sakura would be a lighter terminal if you wanted something different but still lightweight on lubuntu and you can get to all settings by rightclicking. There is also the prefrences in lxterminal.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by walterorlin View Post
    Yes sakura would be a lighter terminal if you wanted something different but still lightweight on lubuntu and you can get to all settings by rightclicking.
    Or by directly editing ~/.config/sakura/sakura.conf where key bindings can also be set. Great little terminal emulator that I have been using for some time now...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!

If you really want xterm, and not any of the other terminals, like lxterminal (default in Lubuntu), or sakura, you can use this command to launch it with a nice font (at least I think it is nice)

Code:
    xterm -fa default -fs 14
    and you can change the font size from 14 to any other size, 20 or even more if you want it really big.

Edit: See also 'freetype support' at this link

http://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how...onts_in_xterm/
    Last edited by sudodus; April 12th, 2014 at 11:58 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    Konsole is a 228M download on a Lubuntu system, is this really a good idea? I think not.

Be careful about what you install on lubuntu so not to bloat it with gnome or kde dependencies.
    If you're talking about a really old system with less than 1Gb I'd agree with you, but I use dolphin and konsole on my 1Gb netbook, no problem.

It's true that kde apps introduce a ton of dependencies, worse than gnome. But if the app has a lot more features & power it's worth it to me.

Try LXterminal if you don't want to install konsole and all those dependencies. For some silly reason LXterninal is under menu->accessoriies instead of menu->system tools so you may miss it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast