Thread: Unwanted update

Beans

Arrow Unwanted update

My list of available updates includes python-lockfile. when I try to install the updates I get the message
    The action would require the installation of packages from unauthenticated sources
    When i click on details it names python-lockfile. I have unticked the box for this update but I keep getting the message.
    I want to install the other updates but not python-lockfile. What do i need to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unwanted update

You could try the following link:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/99774...pt-get-upgrade

Beans
    Hidden!

Use synaptic to see where the python-lockfile update is coming from.

Beans

Many thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm actually curious about the details, though. Like the OP, I manually unchecked the update to python-lockfile, and the update mechanism magically re-enabled the update.

I think this must be because some other package depends on python-lockfile, but I don't do enough with apt to know how to find out which one.

In any case, isn't this a bit sloppy? If a high-priority update depends on an untrusted package, and this will cause the update to fail, shouldn't that be addressed in the appropriate package definitions? If it's a security update... kind of important that it should "just work."

For the record, richaustin's answer did allow me to proceed with the update. For convenience of future readers:

Code:
    sudo apt-mark hold python-lockfile
    Thanks,
    hjh

Beans
    Hidden!

Where is your update coming from to be untrusted?
    Code:
    apt-cache policy python-lockfile

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by grumblebum2 View Post
    Where is your update coming from to be untrusted?
    Code:
    apt-cache policy python-lockfile
    Code:
    $ apt-cache policy python-lockfile
    python-lockfile:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 1:0.8-2ubuntu1
      Version table:
         1:0.8-2ubuntu1 0
            500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main amd64 Packages
    hjh

Beans

As a senior citizen with absolutely no knowledge of computer code none of the above answers are a help to me. I have been using UBUNTU without any real problems for about 5 years but if I cannot install security updates due to being offered untrusted packages ( why ?) I might have to go back to Micro-soft. Can I go into settings and just remove Python altogether or is it a critical component ? could I perhaps download the latest updates without the untrusted package from the Ubuntu web page ? I realise I am out of date but surely Linux must be usable by the general non-geek public to survive.

Beans
    Hidden!

but if I cannot install security updates due to being offered untrusted packages ( why ?) I might have to go back to Micro-soft
    The status of "untrusted package" will refer to a package lacking a digital signature or is incorrectly digital signed. Digital signatures are used to check authenticity of packages.

I have seen and ignored that message hundreds of times over the years without any problem, but I only ever trust the package IF it comes from the official Ubuntu repositories (knowing the repos are checked) not third party repositories/ppas or other online sources.

Windows installs require digital signing of drivers etc, but they can come from any source not just Windows update servers. Ubuntu uses digital signatures as well (usually, not so in this case), but the source is a centralized repository and as such is heavily checked/monitored. A package not being digitally signed in Ubuntu is not as important as it is in Windows because of the centralized repository set up. Personally if the source is the main repo as shown by dewdrop_world's last post I would not hesitate to install that particular package. You are operating in what is known as a "Windows Mindset" and Linux is NOT the same as Windows.

Relax a bit and enjoy yourself is my advice ... I have been using Ubuntu/Linux for 7 years now and have safely ignored that warning quite often when the source is the official repos.

By all means always note the source of the package, as grumblebum2 asked above, and you can relax a bit if it is from the official repositories, as it is in this case. Cheers, coldcritter64