Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I learn the scripts you guys use, Distros, & other questions

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question How do I learn the scripts you guys use, Distros, & other questions

Hi,
    I'm just curious; I read articles, watch videos, discuss with friends about linux and so on.
    But still...I'm not getting it. I mean by "it" is...well...I wanna be an above average user. I want to understand how you guys come up with solutions that's not related to downloading a specific software or knowing a secret setting in the settings menu. Well of course this was the way in the windows world.
    (I still consider myself a windows guys so bare with me. I'm even posting this from windows already haha)
    And I know this topic has been discussed a lot. But I only really understand something when I have a discussion about it. I just can't read about the history of linux and the humanitarian cause to save mankind or whatever.
    I want the real deal.

How do I learn all that you do guys?

I've been using PC since the time of windows 95. I knew about DOS since some games only worked in DOS.

I did many other things as well but that's not the topic for it. I'm not bragging. they're small stuff anyway.

So just to cut it short and not to be too much of annoyance.

I want to "understand" what I'm doing on Linux in general.

Basic basic basic questions like...What is an OS? and don't tell me to google it please. If I may ask, seriously , could you please guide me to some online course (free please) to learn what is programming or whatever this thing necessary for learning how to modify and play with linux in general?

And please! only answer if you're a patient guy who has been in my place before and learned..I don't want to be mocked or ridiculed..I really wanna know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My other questions: (which could be much easier and more fun to discuss) I've been reading about all these linux distros @ distrowatch.com. I liked what I read about the distros specializations.

I read about: fedora, debian, opensuse, slackware, redhat, openBSD, FreeBSD, CentOS, ArchLinux and even Kali and I know that some are based on others.

and actually used (for a very short time) : Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu. and Mint; I'm using it right now.

But:

Which distro should I start with so I can go into the OS programming/development path?

How long do you think I may take to be better and what are the ways?

like, should I try to mess with the programs and find bugs or whatever..

you know...just share with me socially what did you do guys to become "users" just users....not testers no gurus not gods not anything like that. just discuss with me how did you get into the world of linux and what are doing with it now? I have a few information about this. I don't know what are the next levels of using linux. I just used it to "break the monopoly" of windows or whatever that is But I believe there's something cooler and more useful/productive than just being a rebel. and I want it!

It's a rich environment and I'm sure I can find people who are eager to teach/guide me just like they were eager to learn before....and.....If you guys didn't start by asking questions in forums. Please tell me where to start?!

Summary:

- What are the programs/languages I should know to be a better "contributor" to the linux world?

- Could you please share with me how did linux entered your lives?

- Distros; are they so different that if I used one; it could distract me from the path I wanna take? or is it ok to use just about any of the (beginner/rookie) distro and then after a while I change to what I want?

- Distros; and if I wanted to go with the Programming/Developing of OS's or Software choice, Which distro should I keep an eye on for my future plans?
    Last edited by cariboo; April 14th, 2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Remove huge font formatting to comply with Forum C of C

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How do I learn the scripts you guys use, Distros, & other questions

This course looks perfect for you:
    https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoun...roduction-1621

Starts sometime this summer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

There's a very good free beginner's guide to using the terminal, click the "I want to tell you" link in my sig.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by husseinmoussa View Post
    I've been using PC since the time of windows 95. I knew about DOS since some games only worked in DOS.
    I was there as well playing Terminal Velocity, Descent, Doom, Castle Wolfenstein, ROTT, Hexen etc straight from DOS. Then Windows decided to become a gaming platform starting with that ghastly game called Hover on Windows 95, and it grew from there of course .

- Could you please share with me how did linux entered your lives?
    I bought a second hand computer from eBay that had Hoary Hedgehog installed, an installation that I broke pretty quickly. Stayed with Linus ever since because of the freedom it represented...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thumbs up Re: How do I learn the scripts you guys use, Distros, & other questions

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    This course looks perfect for you:
    https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoun...roduction-1621

Starts sometime this summer.
    Wow! It does look perfect!

Thanks so much appreciate it

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thumbs up Re: How do I learn the scripts you guys use, Distros, & other questions

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    There's a very good free beginner's guide to using the terminal, click the "I want to tell you" link in my sig.
    Thanks so much

I downloaded it already

But what about your views about the distros?

Any tips?

Should I start with a specific one and continue or is it not too much distraction to start with any of them????

What to do you think?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Smile Re: How do I learn the scripts you guys use, Distros, & other questions

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I was there as well playing Terminal Velocity, Descent, Doom, Castle Wolfenstein, ROTT, Hexen etc straight from DOS. Then Windows decided to become a gaming platform starting with that ghastly game called Hover on Windows 95, and it grew from there of course .
    oh haha, I used to play FIFA97 on it too haha If I wanted to play as two players, I had to install the mouse in DOS first then play! every time! haha good ol' days!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I bought a second hand computer from eBay that had Hoary Hedgehog installed, an installation that I broke pretty quickly. Stayed with Linus ever since because of the freedom it represented...
    Oh yeah I forgot to tell my story too!

Mine started when I played with a program on Windows me (or 98 I don't remember) which was called "system file checker". Some how it was able to read the files that were changed since the last check and fixes them or something like that as far as I remember.

I tracked the files of this program and copied them to use as a independent program. and tested it on a PC (different windows version) of a friend of mine. who happened to be an engineer, he liked what I did and told me about this "linux" thing. He sent me a link for it to download and try while on windows itself. He didn't explain much. he said; it's kind of a program.

I thought it's funny with it's cross-eyed penguin logo haha and then I asked him about it. He said it's called Linux it's something that "imitates windows" hahaha.
    then I was so thrilled to know that it's free! :O like omg! a free OS just like that! I fell in love with the idea that some kind programmer in this world did this and offered it for free.
    and not just that...but also "if you're able" you can create your own programs! omg haha
    and that's when my journey with linux started

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Once you have spent 10 years using linux, you will be comfortable with it. It just takes time. Patience is key.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Once you have spent 10 years using linux, you will be comfortable with it. It just takes time. Patience is key.
    Makes sense

You're right. Patience is the key to many things in this life!

Beans

For someone new to Linux, I'd stick to either Ubuntu or Fedora. Since you're already here, try Ubuntu first. In addition, I'd try a couple of different "flavors" of Ubuntu besides just the stock installation with the Unity desktop. Kubuntu uses a different desktop environment called KDE which may look more familiar to Windows users. The other two main flavors, Lubuntu and Xubuntu, work well on machines with weaker hardware as well as the most modern machines.

You can "test drive" a distribution by downloading and creating a bootable device, either a CD/DVD or a USB drive if your computer supports booting from USB. Every Ubuntu version allows you to pick "Try Ubuntu" after booting which will leave your computer's hard drive unaltered while you browse around in Linux. You'll find that it's rather slow running this way; rest assured that it will run a whole lot faster when installed to your computer's hard drive.

In my case experience and patience were key. I've been using Linux since 1995, originally on gateways and servers, but now on the desktop as well.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; April 12th, 2014 at 04:43 AM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast