Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Please help us test Lubuntu with Phill's non-pae kernel

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Please help us test Lubuntu with Phill's non-pae kernel

I tested the current content of http://phillw.net/isos/non-pae/ uploaded May 4 in the evening

Code:
    -rw-r--r--    879K    2014-05-04    21:36    linux-firmware-image-3.13.0-non-pae_124_i386.deb
    -rw-r--r--    6,1M    2014-05-04    21:36    linux-headers-3.13.0-non-pae_124_i386.deb
    -rw-r--r--    39M     2014-05-04    21:36    linux-image-3.13.0-non-pae_124_i386.deb
    -rw-r--r--    723K    2014-05-04    21:36    linux-libc-dev_124_i386.deb
    -rw-r--r--    668M    2014-05-04    21:38    lubuntu-14.04-non-pae.iso
    -rw-r--r--    1,4M    2014-05-04    21:38    lubuntu-14.04-non-pae.iso.zsync
    -rw-r--r--    60      2014-05-04    21:56    md5sum.txt
    The iso file works, can install Lubuntu into my Thinkpad with a Pentium M CPU without a PAE flag. But it has the 3.14.0.24-generic kernel with PAE (which works with the boot option forcepae). Then I installed the debian packages (of the same date) and rebooted. The first grub menu option uses the non-pae kernel and it works. I have not tested a lot, but some crucial things, and it works as it should

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi,

I've been given some additional help on this ISO building. It seems the ISO and the updated kernels are two different projects

I'll get the ISO rebuilt.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Distro

The help has taken a lot of help, But it is one its' way.... Between trial builds, release builds and release +1 builds... I was not aware that the release numbers would break things if you were an amature and did not fully understand the numbering system that they have to use

Beans
    Hidden!

A new tarball is created by from Lubuntu 14.04 with 32-bit non-pae and 32-bit generit (pae) kernels with OEM style installation.

Lubuntu_14.04oem-npae.tar.xz # in OEM mode, password: 123456

Use this link http://phillw.net/isos/one-button-installer

This tarball contains PhillW's 32-bit non-pae kernel and can be used with most Intel/AMD CPUs including Pentium M and Celeron M processors. The non-pae kernel does not manage memory above 2 GB well (but it is seldom a problem with old hardware). The generic (pae) kernel is better when there is more than 2 GB RAM.

Find more details about this tarball at help.ubuntu.com/community/OBI/Lubuntu_14.04_OEM-nonPAE

If you have a truly non-pae processor, try the experimental One Button Installer of this link

dd_blank-obi_7.8GB_23_LubuntuTrusty_non-pae.img.xz

If you cannot boot from USB, use the 9w installer described in post #40

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post13003216
    Last edited by sudodus; May 8th, 2014 at 02:36 PM.

Beans

from Ubuntu beginner: My Dell 600 with a Pentium M 1.2GHz will not install U14 because of a pae not installed, (The poor thing has only 512Mb so what's the big deal!). So is this a dead-end for Ubuntu on this machine?
    Thanks
    gordc

Beans
    Hidden!

I think you can run several Ubuntu versions, flavours and re-spins in that computer. With only 512 MB RAM I would suggest Lubuntu or some other flavour or re-spin with an ultra-light desktop environment. Your CPU may or may not have PAE capability (it may have PAE capability even if it has no PAE flag).

- Lubuntu 13.10 or Lubuntu 14.04 LTS are two alternatives if there is PAE capability. Install Lubuntu 13.10 via Lubuntu-fake-PAE or the One Button Installer. Lubuntu 14.04 LTS can be installed directly with the forcepae boot option or via the One Button Installer as described above.

- Non-PAE versions of Bento, Bodhi and LXLE based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS are likely to work well, even if your computer lacks PAE capability.

See this link for more details Old hardware brought back to life

or try according to posts #40 (9w installer) and #64 (One Button Installer) in this thread.

Edit to make things clear:

- If you want to run a stable system in your Dell 600 with a Pentium M 1.2GHz, there are many alternatives, many of them old, debugged and polished, and still supported.

- If you want to try something new, or help develop this community re-spin (developed by phillw), then try the non-pae versions in this thread. There are already the alternatives according to posts #40 and #64, and I hope and think that Phill will soon spin a good iso file using the standard alternate installer that will install Lubuntu 14.04 LTS with the non-pae kernel.
    Last edited by sudodus; May 8th, 2014 at 06:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro

An update,

as the alternate cd has taken upon itself to update on installation, tomorrow I will be re-installing it and disconnect networking after it has auto configured up the network, this will force it to use the CD thus I will have both my local VM and the build machine in sync.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Hidden!

There is a new wiki page for the 9w installer can install systems with 80 MB RAM to install and run the Ubuntu mini.iso based text system.

Lubuntu Core Trusty
    needs 128 MB RAM to run and at least 256 MB RAM to be really useful.

See this wiki page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/9w

and this page, where you can download the 9w iso files http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/9w/

Beans
    Hidden!

There is a new version of the 9w installer, the OBI-9w installer

The One Button Installer in run from the 9w installer's debian system. Now there is a super light-weight installer, that can

- install from CD, DVD and USB
    - create not only single boot but also dual boot systems.

Prepare partitions with Gparted and run the One Button Installer at the advanced level to create dual boot or multi boot system.

There are special tarballs for the 9w installer, and these tarballs come with the iso file.
    Last edited by sudodus; July 5th, 2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: new iso-file

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Great work. I wanted to thank Phill and everyone else helping with this project.

I successfully installed xubuntu on a Compaq TC1000 tablet with a Transmeta Crusoe CPU.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast