Thread: Bypass ubuntu 10.04

Beans

Bypass ubuntu 10.04

Hi, Does anyone can bypass ubuntu 10.04, if yes how?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Bypass ubuntu 10.04

Not sure what you are asking here. Please clarify: what do you have now and what are you trying to do?

Beans

Hi i forgot my ubuntu 10.04 pc password and i have some important files in it, so i would like to login to it without password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You will need to reset your password.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This is a common problem but you can reset your password see this question on AskUbuntu for how

http://askubuntu.com/q/24006/107450
    Last edited by Warren Hill; April 11th, 2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: corrected link

Beans
    Distro

I suggest booting from an Ubuntu 12.04 or 14.04 live CD and mounting your hard disk, then copying all your important files to another disk.

Then run the installer and install the later version of Ubuntu, erasing the 10.04 in the process.

When 12.04 or 14.04 has finished installing, reboot and then copy your files from the backup to the hard disk again.

That way you end off saving your files, making a backup, AND installing a supported version of Ubuntu. In case you didn't realise, Ubuntu 10.04 is no longer supported with security patches and bugfixes.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.