Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is everything slowing down?

Beans

Re: Why is everything slowing down?

There is way more than just a basic desktop system. Ubuntu isn't exactly the most easily customized distribution, try Arch too, I haven't had much luck with Gentoo, but LFS is cool too, just a large stepdown from Ubuntu.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan_Williams View Post
    I've been in the Linux world for about 3 years. I used to be learning stuff left and right, configuring and tinkering things.
    I used to have to reinstall every 2 or 3 weeks because I broke so many things while I was learning.

All of the sudden (within the last month or two) I have just stopped. I have a stable system, I don't tinker or learn anything new anymore.
    I think the biggest thing I've done in a while is install LibreOffice, and that was a while ago.

Is there something I should do to fix this, or am I just done learning?
    I can understand completely where you're coming from. I have been a dual-boot distro-hop-a-holic for the last 6+ years and always had fun trying to figure out how to do this or that. But now a days I'm happy with my stable install and aside from the ocasional WINE game install I need to tweak I don't find myself doing much else.

For me half the reason is that Linux has developed so much since my earlier days with it that I install it and don't really have anything left to get working. To me that's an awesome plus!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan_Williams View Post
    I've been in the Linux world for about 3 years. I used to be learning stuff left and right, configuring and tinkering things.
    I used to have to reinstall every 2 or 3 weeks because I broke so many things while I was learning.

All of the sudden (within the last month or two) I have just stopped. I have a stable system, I don't tinker or learn anything new anymore.
    I think the biggest thing I've done in a while is install LibreOffice, and that was a while ago.

Is there something I should do to fix this, or am I just done learning?
    Try the latest minimal installation iso and open box. Should keep you busy for a while.
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

Learn to code. It'll make everything exciting again
    Don't eff with The Cult...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Put a couple of different distros in VMs. Learn them all.

Get a copy of the Linux Bible. Go through every page. Try to break your installations on purpose. Put them back together. If you completely bork a VM, reinstall and see what you learned.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    Try the latest minimal installation iso and open box. Should keep you busy for a while.
    Thanks, but that's what I'm running right now.
    I've installed and uninstalled it 100+ times, each time building something different.

But yes I would definitely recommend this to everyone else. It's just that I've done it so many times
    Things to remember :
    - Use proper english
    - Comment your code
    - Keep background information and introductions to a minimum

Beans
    Hidden!

It depends on why you want to keep learning.

For me, it was to keep current on technology for my job as a system engineer. About 2007, I was hearing things about cloud computing. In 2009, I decided to do a hands-on investigation of it. I had some extra computers at home I could use for the learning project. I ended up creating my own private cloud or IaaS using the KVM hypervisor and Eucalyptus. Ubuntu 9.04 made that easier as it allowed me to set up the basic system in one weekend. To make the cloud work the way I wanted, I had to build VMs for DNS, LDAP, Email server, and so forth. About six months later when the company did a proposal for a Cloud computer contract, I was one of the few system engineers that actually had hands-on experience regarding the subject. That was enough to keep me financially very well employed until I retired a little over a year ago.

Are you wanting to learn for personal home computer use, a future career, a current career, or something else?
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; April 17th, 2014 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Emphasize what is important in my post.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    Are you wanting to learn for personal home computer use, a future career, a current career, or something else?
    I would love to have a future career in the Linux field.
    Things to remember :
    - Use proper english
    - Comment your code
    - Keep background information and introductions to a minimum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This maybe an option.
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )