Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wnda3100v2 ubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

wnda3100v2 ubuntu 13.04

Hi all. I spent today trying to get this wireless adapter working with no luck. I followed 2 threads and got so I can see the driver and the hardware installed but then I am stuck. I think this thread contains the solution http://av3ngr.wikispaces.com/Netgear+WNDA3100v2+USB

but I am having trouble getting the commands to run in terminal. (total noob) This command in particular

su -c 'yum -y localinstall --nogpgcheck http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/...ble.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfr...ble.noarch.rpm'
    su -c 'yum -y install kmod-ndiswrapper'

I have the drivers and ndiswrapper installed, windows wireless drivers sees the driver and the hardware but the USB stick won't light up.

This thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1964173 I get to the last command - iwconfig - to check if it is working and I get the following
    Code:
    mark@markii-pc:~$ iwconfig
    eth0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"HOME-EC72"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: 00:1D:D3:FE:EC:70   
              Bit Rate=65 Mb/s   Tx-Power=16 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=43/70  Signal level=-67 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:17  Invalid misc:39   Missed beacon:0
    Here is a little more code the result of lsub
    Code:
    mark@markii-pc:~$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0846:9011 NetGear, Inc. WNDA3100v2 802.11abgn [Broadcom BCM4323]
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0402:9665 ALi Corp. Gateway Webcam
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    I DO have wireless, the laptop has wireless but it is dying and I need the netgear adapter. I tried this morning doing this in 10.04, now I am upgraded to 13.04.

Thanks
    Last edited by fattyz; April 11th, 2014 at 12:40 AM. Reason: code tags
    FattyZ

I just copy and paste commands into the terminal from the internet. It either gets fixed or it stops working.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: wnda3100v2 ubuntu 13.04

Moved to Networking & wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So I'm back on this after having spent a week on Compiz/Emerald which was WAY more fun but ... this is important! I was wrong about the thread above with the terminal commands I couldn't run. After reading it again I see that I already accomplished all that and I have not got anything working.

Ndiswrapper (windows wireless drivers) Installs the drivers I downloaded and installs them and sees the hardware. Nothing else is happening. I tried to install the drivers from the disk under wine but all the install CD does is put an icon on the desktop to run the install wizard like under windows. This in windows tells you when to plug in the adapter and the driver sees the hardware and turns it on. That program, though installed under wine will not start or run.

I can click on configure wireless networks, I see my network but trying to edit it will not work. I was able to do so on a previous attempt and this did not accomplish anything anyway but it says to do so in the threads I have seen so far.

So I am stuck (though I DO have a nice shiny new installation of 14.04) The light on the adapter is flashing now and then currently as though it felt it should be doing something, a very hopeful sign, but I can't see any way to get it to start up or select it to provide wireless for my laptop. I hope I have not overlooked anything too obvious and I will continue to google for additional threads. Sometimes all it takes is a slight change in the wording and bingo!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated
    Last edited by fattyz; April 16th, 2014 at 03:36 AM. Reason: update
    FattyZ

I just copy and paste commands into the terminal from the internet. It either gets fixed or it stops working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Found this which has terminal commands for loading the driver but no luck.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper

I'll keep updating this today as I should have time to work on it. : )

Yours
    FattyZ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Maybe if I can blacklist the driver for the built in wifi and THEN enable wireless the drivers will load. I found this idea referenced but not exactly how to do it. In windows both wifi adapters would (seemingly) work at the same time and I would shut off the built in one which is no longer working correctly. Hence the wnda3100v2.

Thanks again
    FattyZ

Beans
    Distro

In windows both wifi adapters would (seemingly) work at the same time and I would shut off the built in one which is no longer working correctly.
    Great job, Windows. Every time I turn on my computer, I have to fiddle with things to get connected. Every. Time.[/RANT]

Let's start by blacklisting and unloading permanently (until we choose to reload it) the built-in. The first step is to identify it. Please run and post:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for your reply

*-network
    description: Wireless interface
    product: AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
    vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
    logical name: wlan0
    version: 01
    serial: 70:f1:a1:27:af:68
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.13.0-24-generic firmware=N/A ip=10.0.0.17 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
    resources: irq:17 memory:d4600000-d460ffff
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: AR8132 Fast Ethernet
    vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: c0
    serial: 70:5a:b6:df:aa:a4
    capacity: 100Mbit/s
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=atl1c driverversion=1.0.1.1-NAPI latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
    resources: irq:46 memory:d3500000-d353ffff ioport:1000(size=128)
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 3
    logical name: wlan1
    serial: 44:94:fc:17:8c:68
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+bcmn43xx64 driverversion=1.59+,08/26/2009, 5.10.79.30 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
    FattyZ

Beans
    Distro

If you want to blacklist the internal, which seems to be connected right now (!!), please open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo -i
    echo "blacklist ath9k"  >>  /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    modprobe -r ath9k
    exit
    Now is your USB working? Seeing networks? Connecting? If not, try a reboot and check again.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Close! When I try to connect the USB lights up and flashes trying to connect but fails. : ( I tried several times (and rebooted) and tried to configure network under ndiswrapper (graphical). It shows another entry for my network never accessed and fails if I try to configure.

I was able to get to configure network under the wife tab in notification center but it still fails to connect.
    Last edited by fattyz; April 16th, 2014 at 04:32 PM.
    FattyZ

Beans
    Distro

tried to configure network under ndiswrapper (graphical).
    I don't understand that at all. Where or what is that? Maybe I don't have enough experience with ndiswrapper.

When you click the Network Manager icon, do you see your network? http://www.techotopia.com/images/d/d...nager_menu.jpg Can you click on it and try to connect? Are you challenged for your WPA2 password? When you supply it, does it try to connect?

The Dr. Gloom in me fears that you have added so many self-configurations that we will have lots to undo before we can connect smoothly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast