Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VPN Suggestions

Beans

VPN Suggestions

Does anyone recommend a safe, trustworthy VPN to use? I'm new to Linux, converting from a WinXP system. I looked/tried at a lot of VPN's, but for some reason I don't feel comfortable with any of them. Though DuckDuckGo is okay, but if I want to DL a movie for my wife and I to watch on occasion, I would like to do that. Or, if I want to do some research on medical stuff, I want to go through a VPN. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by sandyd; April 10th, 2014 at 11:58 PM.

Beans

Re: Vpn?

DuckDuckGo is not really a VPN, as it just "hides" your search queries from Google, Yahoo, etc. But if the government wants to get you, they still can see you visited this page: "https://duckduckgo.com/?q=a+movie+for+my+wife", and the page after that, etc.
    You could take a look at the tor project, that with browser plugins to switch between your main connection and the private connection would allow you to privately search the web for anything with the push of a button.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: VPN Suggestions

Not support - moved to cafe
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I personally have been using Witopia for some years now and I am happy with them. Easy setup for Windows, OSX and Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Tor Browser Bundle

A VPN won't help much with privacy though it can reduce the likelihood of having your traffic intercepted from wireless, say at a cafe. If you are more interested in privacy look at the above suggestion for Tor. In particular, the Tor Browser Bundle might be of use as it will set up automatically a fairly private system using a specially configured, customized version of Firefox.

Beans

I wonder how many Tor nodes have fixed the OpenSSL bug in their implementations.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I wonder how many Tor nodes have fixed the OpenSSL bug in their implementations.
    Very good point!

And I played with TOR a number of years back. I found that it was too slow for me. I wanted privacy, but not at that cost.
    I only use LTS releases, and mostly for servers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PartisanEntity View Post
    I personally have been using Witopia for some years now and I am happy with them. Easy setup for Windows, OSX and Linux.
    Been using Witopia for 2 years as well and also would recommend them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Concerning TOR, I read that it is quite easy for organizations/agencies with enough resources to setup thousands of exit nodes. How does that affect your privacy when using TOR?

Beans
    Distro

I don't know about VPNs but I too would be interested in finding a good one.
    But for private searches you could try https://startpage.com/

I use various add-ons in Firefox to help keep my life private.
    NoScript (Selectively block Javascript)
    Ghostery (Blocks widgets and trackers)
    BetterPrivacy (gets rid of Flash "Super cookies")
    RefControl (Fakes your site visiting history)
    AdBlockPlus (Blocks adverts)

If you want to be shocked about how much data is shared about you then install the "Collusion" add-on for a day and then click on it's icon. Scary stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast