Thread: Post removed and vbBulletin message left

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Post removed and vbBulletin message left

There is something I am confused about so thought posting it here would be the best thing to do.

Yesterday I responded to a post of someone who had a question about Nautilus in 10.04.
    I initial advised to upgrade the OS and then in responding to their response, advised how they could get an icon view in Nautilus instead of a list view.

However, when I went to see if it had worked for them, the entire post had been removed. I searched and it was nowhere to be found.

As I use Liferea to monitor the forum, I did notice the reference to the post had "vBulletin Message" and nothing else.

Today there was a post entitled Scrobing and it also had the vBulletin message.

What am I missing here? Was my response deemed inappropriate? What arbitraily determines when a post is removed? I would expect that some type of communication would take place when this is done.
    Please enlighten me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Post removed and vbBulletin message left

Hello!

The thread was jailed by a member of the staff. I don't know why.

If you feel this was an error, you may post a polite question in the Resolution Centre.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@gifford, I've done a bit of investigating. It seems that the thread starter requested that the thread be removed, probably because they found the answer elsewhere.

Don't worry about your posts being in the jail. It's not a particularly good name for what we use as a general purpose area to remove things from public view. There are various reasons for jailing, and inappropriate content is only one of them. In this case there was no inappropriate content, instead at the request of the OP.

You should still be able to see your own posts, or possibly even the whole thread. If you navigate to Forum Feedback & Help, the jail should appear as a sub-forum but only with your posts showing for you. Do you see them? Or you can try this link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2215981

That might give you a permission denied error though - it certainly will for anyone else except forum staff.

I didn't understand your reference to something called scrobing. Can I help you with that? Can you clarify?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for the responses.
    As for scrobing..it was a thread that was picked up by Liferea but only had vBulletin Message as content. Seeing this twice in two made me ponder about censorship.
    I was unable to access the link you provided..permission denied. As for jail...nothing listed.

I appreciate your digging to find an answer. I was concerned but am now satisfied. Thanks...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

For Staff : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2216000
    I was the one moving the thread. The OP asked for it. Although I kinda think it is unfortunate to remove threads from the public view when there is nothing wrong with them, it was a request from the user who started it. We cannot ignore these requests, their own personal data. Other than users being entitled to have their data removed, they can end up emptying their posts leaving just a dot, witch looks as bad as the whole conversation is disrupted.

Quite sorry your own posts were flushed away in the process
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Appreciate the responses and clarifications.

Beans

Why not rename the Jail to Pen, it is a bit more neutral, a fenced enclosure for animals etc ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Jonor View Post
    Why not rename the Jail to Pen, it is a bit more neutral, a fenced enclosure for animals etc ?
    I think that Coventry is a good alternative, just so I can write : I sent your post/thread to Coventry for this or that reason. Never miss an occasion to have fun
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!

Just to add (even though it is a tad late) typically a users post that ends up in the "Jail" is still viewable by the user, but I suspect that when a whole thread is moved it muddles up the permission?!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Jonor View Post
    From http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pen

pen 4 (pĕn)
    n.
    Informal
    A penitentiary; a prison.
    [Short for penitentiary.]
    There is no escape
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?