Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Canonical: where's the 14.04 hype?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Canonical: where's the 14.04 hype?

Quote Originally Posted by Hylas de Niall View Post
    Yes i'm aware of that, but there used to be another larger iso available that included it and a lot of other apps (12.04 had one - i downloaded it from the Ubu website), I think it also had all the language packs.

I just wondered if this LTS does as well.

This German web site to be each to navigate to find various versions and flavours of Ubuntu (and you can also see the sizes)

http://de.releases.ubuntu.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

So far, I'm running it and I like it a lot!

Really sucks to hear about Ubuntu One integration being removed (and I did read the stories and posted there... or so I think I did) but I really liked it. So far the speed difference is
    the same, and each LTS release, it gets a bit more polished!
    That's the kind of society I want to build. I want a guarantee -- with physics and mathematics, not with laws -- that we can give ourselves real privacy of personal communications. - John Gilmore

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's not all of Ubuntu One, is it? Just the file syncing? The "single log-on" service is still a part of the system. It surprises me that they're canning the music store, though. = / I've switched entirely over to Google Play music, but it's still really too bad the system doesn't have a built-in music store like every other operating system ever.

The syncing was always terrible, much slower and much more poorly integrated into the OS and file manager than Dropbox is with a tendency to create duplicate files all willy-nilly, so I'm glad to see it go; it was bringing down the overall quality of the product to include it in Ubuntu. And that's not mentioning the hideously skinned client app (made to look like the Windows app, I understand?) while Dropbox just follows native toolkits on every system....
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro

Is there any posted schedule for the point releases for 14.04 as of yet? I was just curious
    Did a clean install the other day, and it's running superbly...

Beans
    Distro

It's not all of Ubuntu One, is it? Just the file syncing? The "single log-on" service is still a part of the system. It surprises me that they're canning the music store, though. = / I've switched entirely over to Google Play music, but it's still really too bad the system doesn't have a built-in music store like every other operating system ever.

The syncing was always terrible, much slower and much more poorly integrated into the OS and file manager than Dropbox is with a tendency to create duplicate files all willy-nilly, so I'm glad to see it go; it was bringing down the overall quality of the product to include it in Ubuntu. And that's not mentioning the hideously skinned client app (made to look like the Windows app, I understand?) while Dropbox just follows native toolkits on every system....
    Yeah the SSO part was retained and I think a little bit of the back-end for future projects. I also recall something about once Ubuntu One is completely gone they will release their coding for it?

I had pretty good experiences with it and I hope that they bring it back. I really liked it because it worked on everything that I have and I honestly do not trust Microsoft or Google with my data. Drop-box I used when it was a beta and see that it has now really grown but I still prefer the synergy that Ubuntu One offered. Also I did use their music store and liked it as well.
    That's the kind of society I want to build. I want a guarantee -- with physics and mathematics, not with laws -- that we can give ourselves real privacy of personal communications. - John Gilmore

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Is there any posted schedule for the point releases for 14.04 as of yet? I was just curious
    Not that I am aware of... I've just searched for stuff like that. I know that there is a "generic" image suggesting timelines that I found once but I don't think that it was accurate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    As of now, they have the schedule for 14.04.1 as July 24.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseSchedule

But based upon the last LTS, the next point release should be sometime during the smack dab middle of the next release after 14.10 comes out.
    So 14.04.2 will probably come out sometime between December and February.
    and the rest following that same pattern.

Everything is subject to change, of course.
    The succeeding point releases beyond 14.04.1, need extra testing, above simple bug-fixings.
    Since they get the upgraded kernel and X stacks.

If I remember 12.04.2 was delayed a little because of one of those (kernel or X) having issues.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

Thanks deadflowr and congratulations on becoming a forum moderator
    Must be a blue moon tonight (i think you get my reference) LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Hexxus View Post
    I had pretty good experiences with it and I hope that they bring it back. I really liked it because it worked on everything that I have and I honestly do not trust Microsoft or Google with my data. Drop-box I used when it was a beta and see that it has now really grown but I still prefer the synergy that Ubuntu One offered. Also I did use their music store and liked it as well.
    Out of curiosity, what synergy did it provide that Dropbox didn't? Dropbox runs on everything, too. The ability to sync between Ubuntu and Android (or rather, sync to the cloud and access and edit from Android as if it's local) is the whole gimmick for me. Plus, Dropbox monitors changes as they happen - finding out that Ubuntu One doesn't, but just periodically pushes updates, really killed U1 for me. If I can't be sure that I'm looking at the most recent version of the file, I can't really make any use of it.

I'd put up with even the random duplicate files over that - although seeing it recopy my Tomboy notes exponentially with each update was just about depressing.

That's just trying to shoehorn it into use cases that I'd already established in habits formed around using Dropbox, though. What was awesome about U1 when used properly?
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Dropbox monitors changes as they happen - finding out that Ubuntu One doesn't, but just periodically pushes updates
    Probably why there were so many sync errors/fails with U1.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast