Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical: where's the 14.04 hype?

Beans

Canonical: where's the 14.04 hype?

One week til 14.04, this is what ubuntu.com looks like:

http://imgur.com/loh31p3

No mention of an impending release. Only passing mention of Ubuntu desktop at all. Big banners about open stack and mobile.

Guess times have changed. :-/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Canonical: where's the 14.04 hype?

Yeah, that's kinda surprising.

Beans

Ubuntu need to look at Apple and Samsung and get some ideas with regard to creating hype. Some original ideas wouldn0't go amiss either. The hype goes to those who shout the loudest.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The only thing that comes to mind is the fact that Canonical is focused on moblie for the next year or so. They've stated that pretty flatly and consistently. That's about the only thing I can think of... Even that's a stretch I'd think. A branded product is a branded product.. I'm sure Microsoft hyped up Microsoft Bob when it came out.. Who knows.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sipirilin View Post
    Ubuntu need to look at Apple and Samsung and get some ideas with regard to creating hype. Some original ideas wouldn0't go amiss either. The hype goes to those who shout the loudest.
    Hype requires money. The type of hype that Apple, Samsung and virtually all major companies attempt to produce before product release costs millions and millions of dollars. Canonical is already struggling to make a profit so I dont know where that kind of money would come from. Maybe you can lend them some?

Is there anything in 14.04 to be hyped about? To me, it seems like its shooting for stability and tweaks in Unity. I think it would be a challenge for any company to get Apple level hype about window resizing ability and locally integrated menus...

Beans

I finally have an Ubuntu OS that I can use my ATT 4G AirCard on
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I prefer vaporware over hyperware.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Ubuntu is getting plenty of coverage in internet news sites, particularly in relation to XP's demise and that is worth more than self promotion.
    The path to Mark Shuttleworth's door will likely get beaten down quite a bit in the next few months.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

The only thing that bothers me is that they're using ubuntu.com for all of their non-Ubuntu stuff, instead of canonical.com. It just doesn't make sense. Ubuntu.com needs to be for Ubuntu.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    The only thing that bothers me is that they're using ubuntu.com for all of their non-Ubuntu stuff, instead of canonical.com. It just doesn't make sense. Ubuntu.com needs to be for Ubuntu.
    That, I agree with. I would be fine even, if they wanted to show things off like Ubuntu Phone, or Tablet. But you need to have your site on Ubuntu focused on showing people the benefits for the desktop, and server. I do not care for their feature tour compared to what I have seen some others have done (I like what the Kubuntu team did with their feature tour, nice, direct to the point, and screen shots). Currently, it does seem sorta pushed to the side.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast