Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Canonical: where's the 14.04 hype?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Canonical: where's the 14.04 hype?

Quote Originally Posted by Hylas de Niall View Post
    Yep. Very odd.

I can't find it there or on the main Ubuntu pages, but i definitely had one once - may have been a later point release than those i've checked - but it was certainly an oversized 12.04 image with all the suff i needed already included (except maybe for Inkscape).

Am i really the only one who remembers this? Really?
    I don't know, maybe it was a community re-mix with a lot of extra packages included.
    Last edited by sudodus; April 24th, 2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: typing errrrror

Beans

Where's the hype? I didn't know there was supposed to be any. People don't care any more what OS it is, as long as it just works. Android is proof of that. I'm still a fan of linux, and 14.04, but the "OS wars" aren't what they used to be. Especially since things have gone mobile. iLife and Android are tops, no question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by help_me2 View Post
    Where's the hype? I didn't know there was supposed to be any. People don't care any more what OS it is, as long as it just works. Android is proof of that. I'm still a fan of linux, and 14.04, but the "OS wars" aren't what they used to be. Especially since things have gone mobile. iLife and Android are tops, no question.
    Why Hype? Because Hype is marketing and marketing is essential for business.

Canonical (or is it Ubuntu) is moving into mobile but it is also caught in a catch-22 with needing enough interest to get a major phone manufacturer and service provider, and it needs a major phone manufacturer and service provider to garner enough interest.

Linux has gained some ground with the
    1. End of Windows XP support
    2. Hesitation to adopt Windows 8
    3. Tablets and mobile devices taking the place of traditional desktop (and laptop) comptuters for consumers thereby introducing consumers to "alternatives" and helping to break them out of the PC==Windows thinking that still dominates
    4. Linux is getting better and better for the consumer to easily install and use
    5. Average consumer is becoming more heavy-tech-users and overall more tech-savvy
    but they risk "missing the boat" if they don't grab the attention of people who have been stuck in the non-Linux environments who may be just popping up their heads to see what the alternatives are. If they don't see anything, they put their heads back down and use what they have always used not necessarily because they want to.

Would Android be where it is if it did not "hype" and "market" the Android product? Even with Google's vast riches, without interest (usually garnered by marketing) the Android would be a dead deal by now.

Of course they could try this means of marketing. It IS for a company that makes billions of dollars each year (so maybe they know what they are doing?) ...
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/

Dont know how you get there, but it is there. I dont think Canonical wants the flavors on their homepage. They are a company trying to make money with Ubuntu. Why advertise other products on your site that confuse new comers and take away your revenue stream?
    I found it!

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/c....04.4/release/

It's toward the bottom of the list - a 1.6gig iso

Last edited by Hylas de Niall; April 25th, 2014 at 07:42 AM. Reason: added quote

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Of course they could try this means of marketing. It IS for a company that makes billions of dollars each year (so maybe they know what they are doing?) ...
    That's the guy that bet the farm on Windows 8 isn't it? ...and then got sacked/resigned when it all went pear shaped?

(Just playing!)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Hylas de Niall View Post
    I found it!

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/c....04.4/release/

It's toward the bottom of the list - a 1.6gig iso

You are right, and it seems official.

Who made this Ubuntu DVD version?
    Why is this Ubuntu DVD version uploaded to only a few mirrors?

Can you find any document about it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    You are right, and it seems official.

Who made this Ubuntu DVD version?
    Why is this Ubuntu DVD version uploaded to only a few mirrors?

Can you find any document about it?
    No idea who made it or why it is only on a few mirrors, and i haven't so far found any documentation about it.
    What i do know is that some UK magazines* have put the 'DVD' (ie this sized version) on cover disks.

*i don't recall which, but maybe Linux Format

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567