Thread: Xbox 360 Wired or Wireless Issue

Beans

Xbox 360 Wired or Wireless Issue

Afternoon/Morning

I apologise in advance if this is not the right place, but I have been having issues with this and after a week I am no better at it. I am trying to use a Xbox 360 controller on my Ubuntu 14.04 (upgraded from 13.10) Laptop. It is an Asus ROG G750jw and so far I have everything work really well. What I am having trouble now is trying to get the 360 controller to work.

I have gone threw the guide to install Xboxdrv and it does detected the device. At first I was using the wireless version and what would happen is the device would be found by Xboxdrv and display it as wireless but when I would try to use jstest it too would detect the device, however it would show no response if I pushed any buttons, or If I tried to move any of the controllers. I loaded up steam, which detected it in the sense that it displayed the xbox buttons on big screen mode but again, no life.

I bought a wired version, thinking that it may have better compatibility with Ubuntu, it does the exact same symptoms as the wireless version. My last effort is to install a usb live disc and see if maybe one of my many changes (i have installed play onlinux as well as a wallpaper changer) may have cause some background issue.

If you could point me in the right direction, or ask of me some kind of 'print out' that I could give you to help me diagnose my situation I would be much appreciative. If however you are as stumped as me, and I can not solve this, it is no big issue.. its just something minor I would like to have working as I'm not one for giving up.

Alternatively if you could even recommend a better Ubuntu compatible game pad I would even go for that as well.

I thank you for your time,

Daniel.

Beans

Re: Xbox 360 Wired or Wireless Issue

Did you disable the xpad module from being loaded?

Code:
    sudo rmmod xpad
    Also is the Xboxdrv program running?

Code:
    sudo xboxdrv --silent
    Once you do those two things fire steam back up and see what happens!

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose
    PS you can also install the following packages to test and calibrate the device
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install jscalibrator libgii1 libjsw2
    Last edited by Kirboosy; April 10th, 2014 at 08:39 PM.
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans

I have gotten home and have tried what you asked, firstly I did ensure that xpad was not loading. Infact I couldn't find running, and it wasn't installed. I did try the jscablibrator.. however this package didn't exist. Something intersting however has occured.

When I use my wireless reciver I do get this
    Code:
    Copyright © 2008-2011 Ingo Ruhnke <grumbel@gmx.de> 
    Licensed under GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> 
    This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. 
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain 
    conditions; see the file COPYING for details. 

Controller:        Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (PC)
    Vendor/Product:    045e:0719
    USB Path:          003:015
    Wireless Port:     0
    Controller Type:   Xbox360 (wireless)

Your Xbox/Xbox360 controller should now be available as:
      /dev/input/js4
      /dev/input/event12

Press Ctrl-c to quit, use '--silent' to suppress the event output
    Yet nothing happens.. even if move the buttons or triggers. This is how it has been since the begining of the week.

however, if I stop the program, unplug and then replug the wireless adapter and then move the joystick buttons when I load the program this will start happening
    Code:
    Controller:        Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (PC)
    Vendor/Product:    045e:0719
    USB Path:          003:016
    Wireless Port:     0
    Controller Type:   Xbox360 (wireless)

/dev/input/js4
      /dev/input/event12

X1:   375 Y1:  4717  X2:  -128 Y2:  -383  du:0 dd:0 dl:0 dr:0  back:0 guide:0 start:0  TL:0 TR:0  A:0 B:0 X:0 Y:0  LB:0 RB:0  LT:  0 RT:  0
    X1:  7973 Y1: 11619  X2:  -128 Y2:  -383  du:0 dd:0 dl:0 dr:0  back:0 guide:0 start:0  TL:0 TR:0  A:0 B:0 X:0 Y:0  LB:0 RB:0  LT:  0 RT:  0
    X1:  7973 Y1: 17331  X2:  -128 Y2:   125  du:0 dd:0 dl:0 dr:0  back:0 guide:0 start:0  TL:0 TR:0  A:0 B:0 X:0 Y:0  LB:0 RB:0  LT:  0 RT:  0
    X1: 19239 Y1: 21496  X2:  1792 Y2:   125  du:0 dd:0 dl:0 dr:0  back:0 guide:0 start:0  TL:0 TR:0  A:0 B:0 X:0 Y:0  LB:0 RB:0  LT:  0 RT:  0
    X1: 23955 Y1: 24828  X2: 10368 Y2:  4443  du:0 dd:0 dl:0 dr:0  back:0 guide:0 start:0  TL:0 TR:0  A:0 B:0 X:0 Y:0  LB:0 RB:0  LT:  0 RT:  0
    X1: 24741 Y1: 27803  X2: 10368 Y2:  7618  du:0 dd:0 dl:0 dr:0  back:0 guide:0 start:0  TL:0 TR:0  A:0 B:0 X:0 Y:0  LB:0 RB:0  LT:  0 RT:  0
    X1: 24741 Y1: 27803  X2: 16896 Y2: 11428  du:0 dd:0 dl:0 dr:0  back:0 guide:0 start:0  TL:0 TR:0  A:0 B:0 X:0 Y:0  LB:0 RB:0  LT:  0 RT:  0
    The device springs to life, and is usable and works flawlessly in full screen mode on steam as well as a few emulators I have.

I am not sure what kind of bug could cause this, but I hope this does help sombody. Also, on my laptop I have noticed the top left usb will turn the device to be 'controler one' indicated on the game pad, if I use the right side it will light up as 'controler 2' I am sorry that I am not giving any technical advise, but I hope this does help sombody or shed light into what could cause this.
    Last edited by Kirboosy; April 10th, 2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: added code tags for post

Beans

It sounds like the pairing of the wireless controller isn't working quite right. Bumping the power seems to straighten it out though.

Perhaps changing ports without killing the service tricks the computer into thinking two seperate game pads are in use? Try stopping xboxdrv before replugging in to a new port. See if that eliminates the issue.

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans

I have done what you have asked this is the exact ternminal read out

danjalrog@danjalrog-G750JW:~$ sudo xboxdrv
    xboxdrv 0.8.5 - http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/

Controller: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (PC)
    Vendor/Product: 045e:0719
    USB Path: 003:007
    Wireless Port: 0
    Controller Type: Xbox360 (wireless)

/dev/input/js0
    /dev/input/event12

^CShutdown complete

Controller: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (PC)
    Vendor/Product: 045e:0719
    USB Path: 003:008
    Wireless Port: 0
    Controller Type: Xbox360 (wireless)

/dev/input/js0
    /dev/input/event12

X1: -4472 Y1: 32767 X2: 256 Y2: -3685 du:0 dd:0 dl:0 dr:0 back:0 guide:0 start:0 TL:0 TR:0 A:0 B:0 X:0 Y:0 LB:0 RB:0 LT: 0 RT:

Again if like magic, the device will not work, however as you can see from the termal read out, if i stop the program, unplug the device, replug the device and move the buttons as I start the program, it works right away.

I have also rebooted the machine to start fresh and i have the same issue. I guess its a strange kink in my system. My hope is that while I don't understand why this is happening sombody may, or it may help sombody else who is having a similar furstartion with a xbox controller.

I'm unsure to mark this as solved.. as while it is working every time, I'm not sure why.

Beans

Now that you got the wireless controller working does the wired controller have the same issue?

~Caboose
    PS. Marking a post Solved

Beans

Code:

Controller:        Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller
    Vendor/Product:    045e:028e
    USB Path:          003:011
    Controller Type:   Xbox360

/dev/input/js0
      /dev/input/event12

^CShutdown complete

USB Path:          003:011

/dev/input/js0
      /dev/input/event12

^CShutdown complete

USB Path:          003:012

/dev/input/js0
      /dev/input/event12

X1:   832 Y1: 23190  X2: -2607 Y2: -1378  du:0 dd:0 dl:0 dr:0  back:0 guide:0 start:0  TL:0 TR:0  A:0 B:0 X:0 Y:0  LB:0 RB:0  LT:  0 RT:  0
    X1:   832 Y1: 29216  X2: -2607 Y2: -1378  du:0 dd:0 dl:0 dr:0  back:0 guide:0 start:0  TL:0 TR:0  A:0 B:0 X:0 Y:0  LB:0 RB:0  LT:  0 RT:  0
    This is from the wired controller. It has the exact symptom of the wireless version...

The first is me plugging it normal moving the buttons, the second is me stopping the program and NOT removing it but moving the buttons as I restart it and it shows nothing. The third time is me unplugging it and plugging it, pushing the buttons as I restart the program and as you can see it springs to life. Bare in mind I start the program relatively quickly after I have plugged the device in.

I hope this is helpful to somebody other than myself.
    Last edited by Kirboosy; April 11th, 2014 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Added [CODE] tags