Thread: rEFIt Dualboot OSX10.6.8 /Ubuntustudio 12.04 - How to permanently remove OSX

Beans

rEFIt Dualboot OSX10.6.8 /Ubuntustudio 12.04 - How to permanently remove OSX

Hey pinguin worshipers!

That's it: I'm about to throw the apple away! After a successful rEFIt dualboot on a MBP 5'5 (ubuntustudio 12.04/osx 10.6.8) I see no reason to keep OSX anymore.

The question is how can I whipe the osx partition and get rid of rEFIt bootloader without messing things up?

I'm afraid erasing the mac partition would not even allow me to boot ubuntu at all since I believe rEFIt lives in there somehow.
    Any clue?

I could not find anything on this very topic.

Thanks

Beans

Re: rEFIt Dualboot OSX10.6.8 /Ubuntustudio 12.04 - How to permanently remove OSX

Quote Originally Posted by matjoe View Post
    Hey pinguin worshipers!

That's it: I'm about to throw the apple away! After a successful rEFIt dualboot on a MBP 5'5 (ubuntustudio 12.04/osx 10.6.8) I see no reason to keep OSX anymore.
    The question is how can I whipe the osx partition and get rid of rEFIt bootloader without messing things up?
    I'm afraid erasing the mac partition would not even allow me to boot ubuntu at all since I believe rEFIt lives in there somehow.
    Any clue?

I could not find anything on this very topic.

Thanks
    @matjoe:

Interesting that "you couldn't find anything on this topic" . . . as I have addressed it here many times, as have others. The short answer is that the general wisdom suggests ****not**** wiping OSX, among other reasons as you state rEFIt lives there or just in front . . . and for purposes of firmware stuff OSX is the default system. I have a triple boot system on my '10 MBPro w/two partitions for OSX and one w/linux . . . in actual fact it takes a fair amount of tweaking to get linux to run the computer as well as OSX . . . e.g., the heat/fan control area. It's fun to have the option of using either system, but I, and numerous others here have suggested to those numerous others to keep OSX--perhaps you can shrink the area it uses to give more space to linux.

e.e.p.

Beans

Re: rEFIt Dualboot OSX10.6.8 /Ubuntustudio 12.04 - How to permanently remove OSX

Ok. So I'll follow the general wisdom and shrink my OSX partition as much as possible. That bloody Apple will remain... damn it!

Thanks

PS:It's one week I've been crawling the www everyday for some post dealing with this EXACT issue (hence the word "very" you wisely removed while quoting my last sentence, but hey fair enough! ). Yes there's a lot about dualboots, rEFIt, rEFINd and all out there, but I was hoping to find something more specific to my situation before to desperately post here. Somehow google hasn't been my friend. Maybe I used wrong keywords combinations, maybe I should directly search on the board. However I totally trust you for finding the posts I missed to prove every future reader I'm wrong. I can live with that.
    peace out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Even if I had gone full-tilt towards Linux and left OS X in the dust, I'd still have it on reserve, even it was a simple 30GiB volume of a 250GiB drive.

Then again, this is coming from somebody that has, at minimum, two operating systems on each computer. Three on the iMac, five on the E500 and three on this thing. (The late SE/30 had three, and a Duo 2300cTB had three as well.) The late Mac mini Core Duo had three, and I wanted four: but five is what I really wanted (10.4, 10.5, 10.04LTS, Win XP, Win 7).

iMac G4 800MHz, Compaq E500, ThinkPad X200
    Classic Mac Networking v3.1 http://applefool.com/se30/
    "Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing." -oboedad55, ubuntuforums.org

Beans

For Tux's sake! You're ready for the next nuclear blast with that rig!!!!

Beans

Ok. So I'll follow the general wisdom and shrink my OSX partition as much as possible. That bloody Apple will remain... damn it!
    Thanks
    PS:It's one week I've been crawling the www everyday for some post dealing with this EXACT issue (hence the word "very" you wisely removed while quoting my last sentence, but hey fair enough! ). Yes there's a lot about dualboots, rEFIt, rEFINd and all out there, but I was hoping to find something more specific to my situation before to desperately post here. Somehow google hasn't been my friend. Maybe I used wrong keywords combinations, maybe I should directly search on the board. However I totally trust you for finding the posts I missed to prove every future reader I'm wrong. I can live with that.
    peace out
    No worries . . . seems like you've made the right decision, and you even know about rEFIt--which BTW, if you decide to upgrade to ML or Mav you would need to use rEFInd to dualboot or whatever, quadruple or quintuple boot as some seem to be doing . . . .

In terms of the search params possibly it was the "rEFIt" part that was throwing it off . . . but here on the forum there have been quite a number of questions about "removing osx from their apple machine, etc" . . . or questions about "dualboot systems" . . . . But, perhaps you will learn as I have, the problem isn't having someone question you here as I have . . . it's getting that someone to even reply that is the most often response here . . . . The pain of living is dealing with others . . . although it seems like the "apple users" section is a little better . . . so that's another good reason to leave OSX on your machine . . . ????

e.e.p.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    No worries . . . seems like you've made the right decision, and you even know about rEFIt--which BTW, if you decide to upgrade to ML or Mav you would need to use rEFInd to dualboot or whatever, quadruple or quintuple boot as some seem to be doing . . . .

In terms of the search params possibly it was the "rEFIt" part that was throwing it off . . . but here on the forum there have been quite a number of questions about "removing osx from their apple machine, etc" . . . or questions about "dualboot systems" . . . . But, perhaps you will learn as I have, the problem isn't having someone question you here as I have . . . it's getting that someone to even reply that is the most often response here . . . . The pain of living is dealing with others . . . although it seems like the "apple users" section is a little better . . . so that's another good reason to leave OSX on your machine . . . ????

e.e.p.
    Yes I will.Now I think it makes more sense to buy a decent PC to go all out Linux. Which opens other issues: Firewire being a major one for me.

Beans

Yes I will.Now I think it makes more sense to buy a decent PC to go all out Linux. Which opens other issues: Firewire being a major one for me.
    Right, there is no "happy medium" and many times its comparing, to coin a phrase, "apples to oranges" . . . but, a number of people I know have tried out a chromebook as a platform for linux . . . seems like an easy buy in . . . and with HD mods might be a way to fiddle with linux . . . . Or even a PC box is easy to run linux on w/o a lot of hassle or worry; awhile back I was seeing "gaming" PC looked fast and cheap . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You know, I love OS X and Linux. I have SEVERAL OS's including Windows 8.1 booting on my MacPro. That said, OS X is my favorite OS period. I'd never get rid of it in it's current iteration.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    That said, OS X is my favorite OS period. I'd never get rid of it in it's current iteration.
    @crj:

Agreed, seems like OSX is the most all around stable OS . . . ***almost glitch free**** . . . linux might be "faster" and obviously if you want to tweak it, more tweak-able . . . but, uh, sometimes glitchy . . . .

e.e.p.