Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What should we users do immediately about the heartbleed heartbeet openssl saucy flaw

Beans

Re: What should we users do immediately about the heartbleed heartbeet openssl saucy

See Post #2, Post #11 and Post #15 - as the build date seems important - for when a patch was applied.

Your build date is in the second line

OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013
    built on: Mon Apr 7 20:31:43 UTC 2014
    platform: debian-i386

Beans

Re: What should we users do immediately about the heartbleed heartbeet openssl saucy

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    See Post #2, Post #11 and Post #15 - as the build date seems important - for when a patch was applied.

Good advice but what has confused me is this from post #1

Affected versions: OpenSSL versions from 1.0.1 to 1.0.1f.
    The vulnerability has been fixed in OpenSSL 1.0.1g.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

All the affected versions are still running 1.0.1e, even on CentOS, so they probably just rebuild that version with the patch instead of upgrading to the newer version.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dad2 View Post
    Good advice but what has confused me is this from post #1

Affected versions: OpenSSL versions from 1.0.1 to 1.0.1f.
    The vulnerability has been fixed in OpenSSL 1.0.1g.
    Again, dad2, read the earlier responses, particularly:

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post

This means that even though 1.0.1e contained the heartbleed vulnerability when it was first released, the package maintainers have since applied a code patch which closes the vulnerability, and uploaded the patched binaries to the repository. As long as your build date is after this happened (on April 7) you're safe.

Beans

I suppose you could use this PPA: ppa:george-edison55/openssl-heartbleed-fix to update your openssl package.
    I really have no clue if this would help end users, I did this since i run a development server which uses some SSL certs.

$ sudo apt-add-ppa-repository ppa:george-edison55/openssl-heartbleed-fix
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get upgrade

Done..
    Hope this helps.

Beans

It's not necessary to use a PPA. The current repository version contains the patch.

Security patches are often "backported" and applied to the current release version of a package without a major version change. That's what happened here.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Heartbleed Status: Upgrading to Heartbreak

Hi,

As someone using Ubuntu and concerned about security I have of course tried to understand the true implications of Heartbleed. There's been a lot of hype and misinformation, so I was really pleased to come across a piece on Hearbleed that went a little deeper and explains what is really going on and suggest solutions:

https://vivaldi.net/blogs/entry/hear...-to-heartbreak

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Merged two similar threads.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123