Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: forum opinion -= wine =-

Beans

Re: forum opinion -= wine =-

Quote Originally Posted by aeyeaws View Post
    mse is one of the better antivirus apps, wine is fine is you dont mind half the fps you get in windows, plus the linux debug weekend thrown in every once in the while, most gamers pass on it

Half the FPS is only true dependent on the hardware you use. On my computer I get the same if not superior FPS in most games. Also keep in mind you are probably using Linux on a computer designed around Windows. If you were to go with for example a System76 or other computer built with Linux comparability in mind you'd have a different story.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

well some games give as good as or better FPS in wine. but the problem is that only a few games work Platinum well in wine.

i have MSE on win7. WinXP has the comodo suite and avira antivirus. for games it will do for now. i am still thinking Linux or Win8. so far i wasn't impressed with Linux. stuff working perfectly - update or upgrade and suddenly it's not working anymore. file a bug - not resolved and dies out.

Linux for gaming - maybe only that SteamOS on particular mashcine. i bet they wouldn't allow that mashcine to get bricked by update.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    well some games give as good as or better FPS in wine. but the problem is that only a few games work Platinum well in wine.

i have MSE on win7. WinXP has the comodo suite and avira antivirus. for games it will do for now. i am still thinking Linux or Win8. so far i wasn't impressed with Linux. stuff working perfectly - update or upgrade and suddenly it's not working anymore. file a bug - not resolved and dies out.

Linux for gaming - maybe only that SteamOS on particular mashcine. i bet they wouldn't allow that mashcine to get bricked by update.
    All SteamOS is Steam Client ontop of some Linux Distro [guessing Debian or some base like that]. So really run Ubuntu + Steam client and you get the same. If SteamBox gaming systems take off then we can expect a lot more love in the Linux Gaming world.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

look, all Kubuntu is, is Ubuntu with KDE interface, yet my Fn keys that were working before stopped working in Kubuntu.
    they don't work at all in Lubuntu and they work perfectly in Xubuntu (inlcuding those thatnever worked under kubuntu). go figure...

Want more? Kubuntu 12.04 - sound works... 2 months later update sound doesn't work. i fix it. it works... a few updates later it doens't work again. hibernaiton suddenly doesn't work anymore... all this on and LTS. bugs posted, bugs matched, no fix so far. ok i found a workarround, but my guess here is that steam OS will work with the boxes it will come on perfectly. and they won't allow an update to mess it up.

the old XP - i've never had an update that would make my sound stop working. or graphics card to act strangely after drivers update. even though i did see a bug in particular one game with the GPU and users posted workable workarround.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    look, all Kubuntu is, is Ubuntu with KDE interface, yet my Fn keys that were working before stopped working in Kubuntu.
    they don't work at all in Lubuntu and they work perfectly in Xubuntu (inlcuding those thatnever worked under kubuntu). go figure...

Want more? Kubuntu 12.04 - sound works... 2 months later update sound doesn't work. i fix it. it works... a few updates later it doens't work again. hibernaiton suddenly doesn't work anymore... all this on and LTS. bugs posted, bugs matched, no fix so far. ok i found a workarround, but my guess here is that steam OS will work with the boxes it will come on perfectly. and they won't allow an update to mess it up.

the old XP - i've never had an update that would make my sound stop working. or graphics card to act strangely after drivers update. even though i did see a bug in particular one game with the GPU and users posted workable workarround.
    Ok I see better what you mean. I've had updates break stuff on both Windows and Linux. For example back when puleaudio was a newer thing my sound was constantly breaking with updates and then getting fixed [granted this was like 6+ years ago]. With Windows OS's I remember having installed Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia site but Windows said oh no you need something else and so Windows Update overwrote those with something MS picked out which of course borked my computer.

So I guess the lesson is, your milleage will vary with any OS. I do agree with you on the SteamBox no updates thing. My bet is if there are updates they will be strictly pushed or not by Steam themselves where-as in typical Linux installs you get tons of third party repositories also updating stuff which is where a majority of bad updates come from in my experience.

Oh and I almost forgot, the Kubuntu versus Lubuntu versus Xubuntu thoughts. I have found differences as well but then again these are community teams separate from the main Ubuntu Canonical run team. So there are bound to be differences in which packages they include by default, which they blacklist, etc...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

as is now even the laptos certified for linux (even preloaded) experience breakage. thats' sad.

i guess there is a reason why steamos went with debian. security updates don't mess the OS usually.we will see what happens.

for now wine is alternative, but not a good one. the solution for those palying windows games is actually a windows upgrade (possibyl needs hardware upgrade as well). and maybe later a virtual mashcine (if the computer and game can handle it). one could use linux+wine but experince might be limited. as for native linux games there are quite a bit of them now coming in but for those you need new mashcine. while the old ones - well some work some don't. for most you need wine (sicen there are no linux versions) which is a hit or miss. but mostly miss.

Beans

I haven't tried this yet, but RoboLinux looks promising. Either as it's own Linux Distro or the option to run it on Ubuntu, LinuxMint or openSUSE.
    http://www.robolinux.org/
    Anyone using yet?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i too heard some enthusiastic responses in favour of robolinux. however i haven't tried it myself nor read any comprehensive reviews. think i might download it and give it a try just to see what all the "fuss" is about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12