Thread: OpenSSL Server Heartbeat or Heartbleed vulnerability

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

OpenSSL Server Heartbeat or Heartbleed vulnerability

In a hurry? See my question under the --------------- line.

I follow Falko Timme's Twitter feed and am glad I do, even thought I'm an end user of Ubuntu. Today, Mr. Timme warned of an attack vector to #Openssl #Heartbleed #vulnerability. timme server.png

I opened the link "How To Find Out If Your Server Is Affected"

and, even though I cannot recall ever installing something named: OpenSSL, I was surprised to see that this package is installed on my home desktop box, which I, AFAIK, does NOT serve anything whatsoever.

To be safe, I ran:

Code:
    sudo update
    sudo upgrade
    and then had a look at the version:

Code:
    openssl version
    Code:
    mark@Lexington:~$ dpkg-query -l 'openssl'
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name           Version        Description
    +++-==============-==============-============================================
    ii  openssl        1.0.1-4ubuntu5 Secure Socket Layer (SSL) binary and related
    As Mr. Timme's SourceForge page specified "your server might be vulnerable as the version is below 1.0.1g. " And I cannot understand what package I have installed as the return from dpkg shows only 4ubuntu5 and not the alphabet revision, I'm frankly worried my computer may be vulnerable.

I have also read these relevant pages to this attack vector:

USN-2165-1: OpenSSL vulnerabilities

Upgrades

I don't want to upgrade from Ubuntu Ver. 12.04LTS (Precise Pangolin) until the whole Ubuntu community does. (I'm a computer follower, not leader), so:

-------------------------------------------------

What package of Openssl is installed on my computer? Is it a package that is vulnerable? It if is vulnerable is there a fix other than upgrading from 12.04?
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: OpenSSL Server Heartbeat or Heartbleed vulnerability

If you have already read the usn, why are you worried about that? If you have already installed the update you are fine. Upgrades in this case mean package upgrades, not distribution upgrades.

Thus, your system is not vulnerable anymore, as the usn says, all the supported packages have been patched already. To make sure try giving
    Code:
    openssl version -a
    and check the build date.

Obviously you are fine and you don't need to upgrade to a newer ubuntu version.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

mark@Lexington:~$ openssl version -a
    OpenSSL 1.0.1 14 Mar 2012
    built on: Mon Apr 7 20:33:29 UTC 2014

Case Closed. Thanks.
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans

I'm confused about this being solved because I just tried to update my openssl, and it failed to update to the patched version:
    - What should we users do immediately about the heartbleed heartbeet openssl saucy flaw

Beans

Thanks. working fine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Damico View Post
    I'm confused about this being solved because I just tried to update my openssl, and it failed to update to the patched version:
    - What should we users do immediately about the heartbleed heartbeet openssl saucy flaw
    Only currently supported versions of Ubuntu will be upgraded. That includes 10.04 Server, 12.04 LTS, 13.10, and 14.04 LTS. Any releases before 13.10 other than 10.04 Server are no longer supported. That's why most people should be using an LTS version.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users