Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [elementary OS] A quick glimpse of elementary OS Freya

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

[elementary OS] A quick glimpse of elementary OS Freya

Avi Romanoff posted this appetizer or preview of eOS Isis on youtube "Isis is insane”. I personally think it is something to get excited about.

Great to see a developer dedicated to his project!
    Last edited by Stinger; July 15th, 2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: codename changed, new Internal Branding Guidelines

Beans

Re: [elementaryOS] A quick glimpse of eOS Isis

Looks nice! I'll probably get it when it comes out

Beans
    Distro

A bit more about Isis from elementary OS founder, Daniel Foré, in this chat with Bryan Lunduke for his article about elementary bounties.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur..._awKqc0#t=2220
    Please take the time and watch the whole chat, it's pretty interesting if you're into elementary
    This awsome blog by Stephen Myall brought it to my attention reboot 2 elementary
    Check it out, lots of useful information for elementary users.
    Last edited by Stinger; April 9th, 2014 at 08:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I really like Elementary OS Luna when I played with it when it was first released. I think the only thing that kills me is the extremely out of date packages it uses and I love midori but for me midori runs better on every distro but Elementary OS. Can you use the PPA system on Elementary OS since it is based on Ubuntu?
    We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
    - Linus Torvald

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grier-devon View Post
    I really like Elementary OS Luna when I played with it when it was first released. I think the only thing that kills me is the extremely out of date packages it uses and I love midori but for me midori runs better on every distro but Elementary OS. Can you use the PPA system on Elementary OS since it is based on Ubuntu?
    Same here, I enjoyed it except for the crazy out of date packages. Also it was very speedy about 75% of the time but every now and then it would just hit a rut and take it's sweet time getting out of it. Wasn't being a power user or anything. Also I love that it follows a mac-ish type theme but I wish there were more setting to tweak. Is was rather barren.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by jbaerboc View Post
    Same here, I enjoyed it except for the crazy out of date packages. Also it was very speedy about 75% of the time but every now and then it would just hit a rut and take it's sweet time getting out of it. Wasn't being a power user or anything. Also I love that it follows a mac-ish type theme but I wish there were more setting to tweak. Is was rather barren.
    That was the issue that caused me to drop the distro was when running a VM the performance would just drop to a snail speed which I have not had on Ubuntu. If they fix that I might move back.
    We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
    - Linus Torvald

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grier-devon View Post
    Amen.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro

What I like about eOS Luna is that it brings:
    • Stability
    • Speed
    • Great work flow
    • True multi tasking
    • Build on the great Ubuntu 12.04 ( Precise ) LTS base

All PPA's available for 12.04 ( Precise ) should work with eOS Luna, I use a couple myself, running gimp 2.8.10 as an example.

You can tweak a lot more settings if you use elementary-tweaks.
    Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:versable/elementary-update
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install elementary-tweaks
    Read about it on reboot2elementary "how to customize your elementary OS desktop" or here on elementarytips.blogspot.com Top Things To Do After Installing Luna

You can get an updated kernel and xserver too if you got new hardware and need it using the LTS Enablement Stack from Saucy
    To install the Saucy hardware enablement packages in eOS Luna ( Precise ), please run the following command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-lts-saucy libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-saucy
    Please remember to reboot to activate your new kernel and xserver
    Last edited by Stinger; April 12th, 2014 at 07:09 PM. Reason: added elementarytips.blogspot.com

Beans

I used Luna for a bit. Will be checking out this new version when it's complete. One of the most impressive lightweight, yet fully functional and attractive OS's.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kbd47 View Post
    i used luna for a bit. Will be checking out this new version when it's complete. One of the most impressive lightweight, yet fully functional and attractive os's.
    +1

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast