Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: [elementary OS] A quick glimpse of elementary OS Freya

Beans

Re: [elementary OS] A quick glimpse of elementary OS Freya

Yes, installing Freya killed grub...the smart guys on launchpad think it's a typo in the path to the EFI boot config file...I just grabbed my Ubuntu 14.04 install and went back to business as usual....I do regular backups so not a problem for me but people should heed the warning that this IS a unstable release and things are bound to be dicey for a while...I'm monitoring the UEFI thread at launchpad and will wait til somebody puts in a fix. Can't wait....I am loving the look and feel of Freya! (that doesn't sound quite right, does it ?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi christopher9
    There is a guy, gabrielgonc, who says he got Freya running on a UEFI pc here

Beans
    Distro

For those who are affected by the UEFI bug; Cody Garver has made a new iso for testing

Beans

Same problem with new iso...so disappointing I am more than ready to run Freya full-time...oh, well maybe Beta 2 will fix...still works great from USB!

Beans
    Distro

Hi christopher9
    You could consider adding the specs of your pc and other relevant info to the bug report on launchpad to help the developers squash the bug.
    If you are not registered on launchpad, it's quite easy to create an account

Beans

I'm not anxious to go through the whole Grub crash, reload Lubuntu, and restore from backup for right now so I'm just running from USB and trying to test everything I can...wish they would make this priority number one...

Beans

FWIW, here is the error message from Freya install attempt from within VirtualBox...don't know if it's related to the regular install error or not....

"The grub-efi-amd64-signed failed to install into \target\. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot."

UPDATE: same error trying to install Freya directly ...this was followed by a "Install failed....when you close this window your system information and configuration will be sent to..." pop-up window but the "Close" radio button was non-functional and could not terminate install in any normal way....
    Last edited by christopher9; August 28th, 2014 at 06:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by christopher9 View Post
    ...wish they would make this priority number one...
    You can help decide how high the priority should be, just place a bounty on the bug

Beans
    Distro

Quick status update on elementary Freya:
    It seems that preparation towards beta2 is going on, numerous updates on the beta2 page on launchpad. As I write there are 12 Confirmed bugs and 6 In Progress left.
    It would be really nice if the UEFI bug was closed before beta2.
    The bug blocking elementary OS being ported entirely to armhf has been pushed to rc1.

I have four small bugs present on my Freya box:
    1. Lock screen doesn't work
    2. If I open switchboard and click the network icon first, switchboard freezes completely.
    3. Time in greeter is shown in 12 hour mode (am/pm) although I have selected 24 hour mode in date and time settings.
    4. 'About this computer' only shows the root partition as storage, my home partition is not calculated.

Bugs aside, Freya is very stable, one might even say rock solid, but I guess thats not the right word for a development release
    Ps.
    One thing I have noticed is, the daily updates to the Pantheon DE during development only involves a small amount of data compared to GNOME or Unity.

Beans
    Distro

To those in possession of some development skills, and who know how to get a UEFI system booting and installing from a live media without errors and want to claim the bounty, I have an appeal.
    Please take a look at bug#1359698 Unable to boot via UEFI into installed freya system
    There is a 100$ bounty on this bug, not much but at least something.
    I know that the chances to find someone here are slim but it's worth a try. Maybe you know somebody who is interested ?
    Some links for inspiration:

This question in the support section of elementary might have some relevance too.
    Why not add support to EFI Stub?
    I would think EFI stub loading is the key here, it's possible to do it in Luna ( Kernel 3.2 ) as an 'add on' with a LTS enablement kernel newer than 3.3 but it should be possible to implement it as part of the installation process in Freya, as Freya comes with a much newer kernel than Luna ( Kernel 3.13 ).

Almost forgot this one:
    elementary OS Freya on a Mac (using rEFInd & EFI stub loading)
    Avi Romanoff's guide , well most of it could be used on a Win8 system too with a couple of modifications. And it seems that the artwork to match rEFInd to elementary has been done.
    Last edited by Stinger; October 29th, 2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Avi Romanoff's guide added

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast