Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [elementary OS] A quick glimpse of elementary OS Freya

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: [elementaryOS] A quick glimpse of eOS Isis

How did u get Isis Alpha?
    Where's [slooksterpsv] been? - I had Catastrophic partition alignment failure. I lost 90%+ of my data, and just now got it back fixed and working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well you know I can't post any links to images here, it wouldn't be fair to the elementary development team, it's up to them to decide when they will go public with the development images.

I can tell you this though. As I see it there are three ways to get the development version of Isis:
    1. If you have development skills, you can join elementary development and have it that way.
    2. You can try building your own using the congrego iso build system.
    3. Or you might get lucky finding a link in one of the public available bug reports that can be used if you put your mind to it.

Beans

I just watched a video about eOS Isis beta and was very impressed with what I saw! The consistency is unmatched by any disto and the responsiveness of the system and applications was unbelievably fast! The eOS developers work on developing their own applications is really looking good and so is the quality. The default web browser now supports flash, that is a huge step in the right direction because the browser blends in so perfectly with the rest of the system.

Also, since Isis is based on the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS base it makes even more sense to try it out. I am really looking forward to the final release of eOS Isis and plan on installing it on a spare hard drive on my desktop and giving it a serious try.

Beans
    Distro

Could it be this video you watched ?
    I Can only agree in what you say about consistency, responsiveness and quality

The video brought another thing to my attention, the elementary OS daily builds, These are unofficial builds !! I Think thats the one used in the review, I tried it myself earlier without any luck but I can see that the iso images have been updated so it might just work now, there is a zsync option as well.

So If you are eager to try Isis and don't mind wrecking you computer, go ahead
    As it says in the description:
    this project is not affiliated with elementary llc.
    do not report bugs to elementary about these development builds of eOS.

for testing purposes only.
    Please respect that.
    Last edited by Stinger; April 27th, 2014 at 12:06 PM.

Beans

The video I watched showed the same features but it was done by someone that actually knew the system. I am in no hurry and will wait for the final release to give it a try.The developers do nice work and I admire the way they have forked various applications to build ones that fit into the system seamlessly.

Beans
    Distro

Qick update on the Isis alpha from 2014-05-27.
    • Indicators are working again.
    • Softwarecenter is working now.
    • lot of cleanup in the drop down menus
    • New 'Shotwell' icon.

Probably more under the hood, Isis is coming along quite nicely
    Screenshot from 2014-05-28 17_11_44.jpgScreenshot from 2014-05-28 17_08_39.png

Beans
    Distro

Softpedia has a screenshot tour of th e recent Isis alpha version.
    But not only did the 'genius' who wrote the article post the screenshots, he had to post the download link to the development version, thereby spoiling it for everyone else

I quote:
    elementary OS "Isis," the next iteration of the famous operating system that managed to capture everyone's attention in just a couple of years, now has a development version available for download.
    ( download link has been removed now )

Beans
    Distro

hi
    Got news for ya.
    3 videos, one with a download link to an unofficial self build iso "elementaryos-unstable-amd64.20140601.iso" and a "howto install elementary OS Isis 0.3 on ubuntu Trusty"

So if you cant wait and want to get your hands dirty, go ahead

Please remember this is unofficial builds / installations, you are on your own, don't report any bugs to the elementary team
    Here we go:

Elementary OS Isis Updated Build 5/27/14

elementaryOS Isis Alpha Build Download 64bit (with download link)

elementary Os Isis built 15 Junio 2014

howto install elementary OS Isis 0.3 on ubuntu Trusty

Beans
    Distro

Re: [elementaryOS] A quick glimpse of eOS Freya

elementary OS Isis is now Freya !

Why the change?

While Isis worked well, there is currently an active militant group in Iraq and Syria commonly known as "ISIS" (Islamic State in Iraq and Syria). elementary obviously has no ties to that group—and we don't think people will get us confused—but we want to both recognize the ongoing turmoil and choose a less controversial name.

Freya is a Norse goddess of love and beauty. As we push our design forward, a goddess associated with beauty makes a lot of sense. And evoking the powerful emotion of love is always a good thing! Another two-syllable name rolls off the tongue and Freya is less commonly used than other options.

Beans
    Distro

Re: [elementary OS] A quick glimpse of elementary OS Freya

In light of the recently published article The Importance of Our Brand by Cassidy James and in respect of the Internal Branding Guidelines
    I have corrected the headline of this thread.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast