Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ubuntu One Alternative, now that it's being shut down?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu One Alternative, now that it's being shut down?

Anyone given any thought to hubic.com https://hubic.com/en/offers/ ? Their 25GB free offer is higher than most, and they appear to support all platforms and sync-ing. Based in France. Any recommendations? Any known snags?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy-zz-John View Post
    Anyone given any thought to hubic.com https://hubic.com/en/offers/ ? Their 25GB free offer is higher than most, and they appear to support all platforms and sync-ing. Based in France. Any recommendations? Any known snags?
    Had a closer look. It's OVH which has a good reputation.
    If you read French, here is a recent review : http://www.tomsguide.fr/article/comp...,2-1231-6.html
    To make it short, the main drawbacks are it's slow and you cannot edit a file stored there (for ex with an office app). More for a backup than a live directory as Dropbox can be. There used to be no limit for storage and it got abused, surprisingly..
    Been using Copy, which works pretty well, if you leave out the tray icon problems.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans
    Distro

Here are extracts from the response I've received from Mega.co.nz if anyone's interested:
    we do have a FREE account you could test before you purchase a PRO account. With our FREE account you get a globally accessible, high-performance, secure cloud drive with 50 GB of storage space.

Your FREE account and its contents don't expire until you cancel / delete it.

You will not be able to install the MEGA Sync Client on those devices in question, as it is only available for Windows.

The launch of our Mac and Linux Sync clients has been scheduled for June of this month.
    Last edited by Sleepy-zz-John; June 10th, 2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Complete rewrite

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah.......dropbox is working fine on my system and it is promising also.........
    New features for enhanced accessibility and ease of use are regularly updated..............
    Nav

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    Had a closer look. It's OVH which has a good reputation.
    If you read French, here is a recent review : http://www.tomsguide.fr/article/comp...,2-1231-6.html
    To make it short, the main drawbacks are it's slow and you cannot edit a file stored there (for ex with an office app). More for a backup than a live directory as Dropbox can be. There used to be no limit for storage and it got abused, surprisingly..
    Been using Copy, which works pretty well, if you leave out the tray icon problems.
    Hmm... thanks. Hubic doesn't sound too bad for my purposes, and I admit their 25GB is tempting! However I've also sent a couple of enquiry e-mails out, one to Mega.co.nz who are also offering 25GB free, and another to Justcloud.com whose website doesn't make it clear what the upper GB limit of their free offer is, or whether there's any time limit on their free offer. Will wait for these two replies before coming to any conclusion.

Interesting that so many posters on here are plumping for Copy.com. Dunno whether that's because it really does have the best specification, or if it's something to do with their special offer, or perhaps because people just like to follow others rather than step out of line. For the moment I'll keep Hubic and Mega.co.nz and Copy.com and Justcloud.com on my shortlist.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I've tried mega, but it lacks a client, only has the web interface last time I checked, so it is less convenient. Works on the phone though. Copy pretty much works as Dropbox that I already was using, so I did not look further. I used one of the referrals from the referral thread and got 25G iirc, compared to the Dropbox 5G, good enough for me for non-sensitive stuff.
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |

Beans
    Distro

I've now registered with Hubic and started saving some material there by uploading via their web facility. That all seems to be working OK and with 25 free GB available there, it's nice not having to worry much about file sizes I'm having some difficulties with their sync system though. Haven''t managed to log-in to it so far. I do need to persevere with that some more, but if it turns out to be buggy and flawed (I'm not sure whether it's them or me at the moment) I'm wondering if there'd be any snag registering simultaneously with a second cloud with a better proven reputation for sync'ing like Dropbox or Copy. Could then use that for sync and Hubic for my heavier files. Might not be wise to attempt duplicate cloud system sync'ing, but for the simple cloud storage part, can anyone envisage a problem keeping two cloud systems current? ,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy-zz-John View Post
    I've now registered with Hubic and started saving some material there by uploading via their web facility. That all seems to be working OK and with 25 free GB available there, it's nice not having to worry much about file sizes I'm having some difficulties with their sync system though. Haven''t managed to log-in to it so far. I do need to persevere with that some more, but if it turns out to be buggy and flawed (I'm not sure whether it's them or me at the moment) I'm wondering if there'd be any snag registering simultaneously with a second cloud with a better proven reputation for sync'ing like Dropbox or Copy. Could then use that for sync and Hubic for my heavier files. Might not be wise to attempt duplicate cloud system sync'ing, but for the simple cloud storage part, can anyone envisage a problem keeping two cloud systems current? ,
    Do you mean keep the same folder synced for 2 different cloud storage applications ? Such as say Dropbox and Copy ? I had never thought of that, and use them separately as I used Ubuntu One and Dropbox. I keep work files with one and personal files with the other and do not mix them. I do not know how they handle file permissions for their own local synced folders tbh and if that could cause problems.

I suppose this is for you to try with a test folder
    J'aime les fraises.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    Do you mean keep the same folder synced for 2 different cloud storage applications ? Such as say Dropbox and Copy ?
    No, that's not exactly what I meant, but thanks for the thought anyway My original idea was to have only one of them, for example Copy sync'd, and the other simply as a web-cloud (Hubic with its free 25GB in my case) for heavy files that might run the risk of exceeding my limit on Copy. That ought to be safe enough, don't you think?
    I had never thought of that, and use them separately as I used Ubuntu One and Dropbox.
    Might be tempting fate too much to try and sync two clouds on the same folder. I wasn't thinking of risking that, but your idea might be OK if one sets up two seperate sync'd folders, one say for Dropbox and a different one for Copy.
    I keep work files with one and personal files with the other and do not mix them. I do not know how they handle file permissions for their own local synced folders tbh and if that could cause problems.

I suppose this is for you to try with a test folder
    Yes, and probably be safer to keep seperate folders IMHO if we were to go in for sync'ing two different clouds.

I was wondering if anyone here has actually tried running two clouds simultaneously ??

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345