Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu One Alternative, now that it's being shut down?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Ubuntu One Alternative, now that it's being shut down?

Quote Originally Posted by axerun View Post
    installed Copy on my Ubuntu 13.10. Others have already mention problems with the tray icons. In addition I found that syncing pictures from both my Galaxy S3 (android) and Jolla (sailfish/android)phones was troublesome. Then tried dropbox, and that one worked very well. Easy peasy to get 50GB of free space. Rune
    How do you get 50GB for free?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
    How do you get 50GB for free?

Sorry, I might have been a little "too quick on the draw" here.

I have 52GB for free today, but most of it, it seems, I earned (48GB) because of my Samsung S3 phone (Dropbox pre-installed). This Samsung promotion expires after 2 years. ....so hardly such a good deal as I thought yesterday.

Rune

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I would like to know how to get the backup files that Déjà Dup Backup Tool put on my U1? I have close to one and half years werth of backsups from three desktops on there..
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 28994

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My solution to this problem was to continue using Google Drive (15 GB free, 100 GB for $2/month) like I always had, and use Insync to automatically sync everything. I have successfully replaced Ubuntu One with it and it has Nautilus integration (right click > Insync > sync), so that you can sync anything you want outside of the Insync folder (this automatically creates a symlink for you).

If your desire is to maintain two computers (ie desktop and laptop) mirror images of each other, such as your ~/Documents folder, InSync will do the trick via symlinks.

You can try it free for a couple of weeks to see if it fits the bill. After that, you pay some small fee ($15?) for the continued use. Totally worth looking into: https://www.insynchq.com/

I know it does not have a linux cliet, that I know of, but honestly, OneDrive (SkyDrive) is awesome. I have 80GB of storage for free from them. You start with 7 but they always send me emails giving me free space. Over the last yeah I went from 7GB to 80GB... pretty awesome stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

that won't help me at all.. the Déjà Dup Backup Tool put all the backup file on U1 not on my pc. I want to get all my backups but I can't with insync or any other cloud storage service.
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 28994

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sorry; I feel for you; Thats why I never store online.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by badman35 View Post
    the Déjà Dup Backup Tool put all the backup file on U1 not on my pc. I want to get all my backups but I can't with insync or any other cloud storage service.
    If you pull all your files off the site as a zip, the zip will contain the gpg files of the backups in a single folder, and déjà dup can be set to use the folder you move it to as a new location, and you can then synch that folder with another service to have off-site copies.

Edit: I think u1ftp still works, which would allow you to cherry-pick downloads more easily than one zip while conversely not being as much work as picking out each file individually.

I'm using déjà with copy via copy-fuse while also using the copy app but ignoring the folder the backup writes to so that (the bug with the indicator aside) I've got a set-up now that's pretty close to how u1 worked, with the advantage of being more able to exclude folders within included folders so all in all if they fix that indicator bug I'll be happier than I was with u1. Still it's definitely worth shopping around in terms of features, free storage limits, cost per storage beyond that, etc. For me google drive's not following links or junctions on Windows was a show-stopper but that wouldn't matter to people who either don't use Windows or are happy with how it works on Win, while another person who doesn't care about lack of upload from mobile might like the greater security provisions of SpiderOak, and so on.

And do see if there are referral links possible for anything you have yet to sign up for; I understand the reasons for not allowing links in posts, but since they give you more storage as well as the referrer (e.g. currently Copy you start with 20GB instead of 15, SpiderOak you start with 3GB instead of 2GB) ask around your friends to see if any are using the service in question already, for your mutual benefit.
    Last edited by Jon Hanna; May 1st, 2014 at 10:34 AM.

Beans

Replicating the U1 approach with other services

We'd chosen Ubuntu One for a reason, and hence I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like the other services to act the same way. I wrote this short article about how I got Copy to act more like U1 did. In particular, having Déjà Dup use it without needing to have a local copy requires a little bit of work.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone did better with other services too (while the UI bugs remain in Copy, I could still be convinced to move to something else).
    Last edited by Jon Hanna; May 2nd, 2014 at 10:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Replicating the U1 approach with other services

Here is a thread where it's been discussed : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2215788
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast