Thread: Do you need drivers on Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Do you need drivers on Linux?

Hi,

After a fresh install of Ubuntu, everything already work ''out-of-the box''. I mean one does have sound, audio, wireless ect Do you really need to add proprietary drivers on Ubuntu? I see that I have an Nvidia graphic driver available but is it really worth it to bother with drivers on Linux?

I am not a gamer, I only play some flash games on facebook on a laptop..

I should want to hear your opinions.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; April 7th, 2014 at 04:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Do you need drivers on Linux?

Most drivers, as you have found just work. They are part of the kernel.

Proprietary nvidia driver will improve overall performance in most cases.
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Hidden!

As carl4926 mentioned, in most circumstances everything will work fine without proprietary software. As you have said you don't really do a lot of gaming, so even the Nvidia proprietary drivers aren't needed. As they say, if it's not broke don't fix it.

Beans

They are not really needed - unless you have specific applications that will not run without them.

They can speed things up frame rates for things like doing 3d and games ......

Flash works ok as long as the flashplugin-installer is loaded usually ........

in a terminal these commands will ensure it is installed .....

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

Then try out whatever it is you use .......

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Drivers -- in Linux they are generally called modules -- are built into the Linux kernel. This can sometimes be a mixed blessing. For example, if you want to add new hardware to your Linux system for which the necessary module isn't in the kernel, you may have to temporarily forgo installing that equipment or obtain the required module, incorporate it into the kernel code yourfself and recompile -- something beyond the abilities of most users. On the other hand, support for most popular hardware is already part of Linux so installation of hardware is generally easier. As regards Nvidia I would go with their proprietary driver for the reason noted by carl4926. Regards.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Support for audio over HDMI is usually better with proprietary drivers, too.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks guys. Very helpful.

Then I will stay with the drivers that are part of the kernel, since all already works well for me. The flash player plug-in shall do for watching streamings online.

Have a nice day!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meistersreign View Post
    As carl4926 mentioned, in most circumstances everything will work fine without proprietary software. As you have said you don't really do a lot of gaming, so even the Nvidia proprietary drivers aren't needed. As they say, if it's not broke don't fix it.
    In general though, if you have an NVidia card it WILL work better (faster) in both 2D and 3D with the proprietary driver installed, and you will also probably get better resolutions. Unity will look prettier your experience will generally be better BUT....

It will also mess up the nice Ubuntu splash screen you get while the system is booting and the console text (outside the GUI) will be big and ugly. This can be fixed if it causes you distress however. I found the answer in the General Help forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

sometimes proprietary drivers are needed for better power saving features and such. especially on laptops this can be important.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup