Thread: Confused

Hybrid View

Beans

Confused

I'm relatively new to Ubuntu and have some simple questions, whcih is why I joined here. However, upon reading some of the threads which looked promising as they seemed to be near to the subjects that interested me, I noticed something which prompts me to ask the following.
    It seems that when someone asks an innocent and legitimate question in this forum, several people jump on that person and either point out how dumb he/she is or ask him/her a barage of really condesending questions of the "Is your computer plugged in" type and after the person answers the flurry of questions, the person's original question is never answered. In fact, I've noticed that very few questions are ever really answered - it's mostly ty this try that and I saw something somewhere which said to do this or that. Sometimes, those answering the question get into arguments about which "answer" is correct or better. The other thing that seems to happen is that most "answers" tell the person what NOT to do and what to be careful of and how their system may blow up if they do something wrong, but no one ever gets around to telling the person what to actually DO to solve his/her problem. My question is:
    Is this the normal operation for this forum or am I just missing whereit it is that the real actual answers are hidden?
    With the utmost respect
    TomD
    Last edited by tomd2; April 7th, 2014 at 04:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Confused

Not a support question. Moved to Forum Feedback & Help

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Actually, compared to some other Linux groups, Ubuntu Forums is pretty welcoming to new users.

Also thread starters are supposed to use the [SOLVED] tag when a question is resolved, but most people don't do that.

Want to give us a couple of links to threads which display your concerns? It's hard to discuss questions like this in a vacuum.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is news to me. I will have to search for these threads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ask him/her really condesending questions of the "Is your computer plugged in"
    I have not noticed that and I post here almost every day and sometimes I check the forums more than once each day. What I have noticed is people reporting problems and failing give enough information about the machine, the version of Ubuntu installed or even the symptoms of what is going wrong. I find that very frustrating. This is why some of us reply: "Run this and that command and post the output in code tags."

I have also noticed that some of us are quick to say: "Don't use Ubuntu. Use Lubuntu instead," without dealing with the user's specific problem. I don't like that either. Neither do I like it when we get side tracked from the problem. Nor, do I like it when someone posts a complaint or discussion subject in the help sections of this forum when we have two sections set aside for discussions.

Our problem is that a) we are all volunteers. b) we are simply users ourselves who may speak from experience or from research. c) None of us have been supplied with a manual containing all the solutions to all the situations that we users get ourselves into. Such a manual does not exist. And we users are very good at finding new ways of messing up the OS. Very often the best that I can offer is a guess.

I often ask myself, why are you even bothering?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

I hope what you have seen is not the average quality of threads, but some failed ones. Sometimes communication fails, but I hope and think we succeed more often than fail. Sometimes there is a problem because a beginner is used to a customer - vendor relation and professional help desks of commercial software. Sometimes it is difficult because of too different levels of knowledge, and all of us are not skilled teachers. Sometimes there are problems communicating in a foreign language.

Except for the real beginners, we are here to share information about linux, to help when we think you can help, and to learn when we need help (so the same person, for example myself, can have both roles). It is peer to peer communication including discussions. If you want pure question-answer dialogues, maybe http://askubuntu.com/ is a better forum.

-o-

If you have a technical question or problem, please create a separate thread with a good descriptive title to attract those who can help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'd suggest that if you do run into anything like that, you use the report button. You have to keep in mind that we are an International forum, with users of all skill levels, and for many English is not their native language. Most of our members are only trying to help in the best way they can.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am very surprised to hear your comments about this forum as I have received a lot of detailed answers to queries I've made, and I have also managed to answer many questions with answers which have subsequently received profuse thanks from the person who asked. Have a visit to some other forums, not just linux ones, to see just how bad they can be, often with no replies at all to questions.

A big problem in answering queries is that we often have no idea what skill level the questioner has in Linux or more exactly, ubuntu, nor often if we are dealing with Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, or Lubuntu, and if we are to avoid giving answers that require use of terminal, that info is absolutely essential. We also need to know the version of the OS in question, as things change markedly between versions in many cases.

There is no point giving an answer without that info, which is why we often ask the OP for the output of a terminal command, as that is the best way to find details of hardware and software, and is generally much more reliable in output terms when dealing with different versions or desktop environments that may be in use.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As mentioned before, report those replies that seem condescending. Our goal is to solve problems - not create new ones. ALMOST no one was borne with a Unix spoon in their mouth - the rest of us have learned as we go along. Also, accept the unfortunate fact that most of us are fallible - all we can do is offer our best opinion.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

tomd2; Hello ;

I too am but a user of this wonderful operating system that is mine due to the graces of millions of those who have preceeded me.
    I am an active participant on this forum ( and other means ) simply because I choose to share and share alike in this wonderful thing that is open source; linux. The operating system by choice is 'buntu .

Most here feel as I do, and all like minded are open to constructive criticism. I often inquire for the level of comprehension of those I attempt to aid. Many of those responding when out of their depth of knowledge will advise so, and seek the aid of those of us with the greater ability. We all help where we can. Rudeness or dis-respect has no part in our moors. As advised, we have a well moderated forum, and the moderators are quick to respond and take action. They are but a button away.

Best point of conduct -> a well phrased question gets a well phrased response.

take to heart
    we work to the good of the cause
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !