Thread: phy0 -> rt2x00usb_vendor_request: Error-Vendor Request 0x07 failed for offset 0x7010

Thumbs down phy0 -> rt2x00usb_vendor_request: Error-Vendor Request 0x07 failed for offset 0x7010

I keep having serious connection problems with EVERY usb wifi-stick I try, BUMMER!

This is the eroor I get with the WUSB600N V2: phy0 -> rt2xc00usb_vendor_request: Error - Vendor Request 0x07 failed for offset 0x07010 with error -71. The stick works for awhile, different timespan every time, then it crashes with the error...

Anyone have a clue how to fix this? Why would it send the request in the first place, because before it asks this, it just works???

I have bought 3 different usb-wifi sticks and NONE of them work! ALL of them are on the HCL! <snip> This is a showstopper for me! It cost me heaps of money and I get no working hardware.... I have been using Ubuntu since 2004, but now I am willing to ditch it all together! Not only because of the hardware issues, but also because off all the <snip> they started putting in Ubuntu the last few years, which I must remove every time I install. Is there a distro which supports hardware and privacy better? Please tell me.

Last edited by Caboose885; April 7th, 2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: removed profanity
    "Umuntu ngumuntu ngabanye bantu" - Xhosa saying.
    (People are people because of other people)

South Carolina, USA
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: phy0 -> rt2x00usb_vendor_request: Error-Vendor Request 0x07 failed for offset 0x7

Is this a request for help with wireless or a troll for an Ubuntu trashing flame war? If the latter, you are in the wrong forum. If you actually want help with rt2800usb, then I suggest you compile the 3.13 kernel version driver. With a temporary wired ethernet connection:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential
    Download this file to your desktop: Right-click it and select 'Extract Here.' Back to the terminal:
    cd ~/Desktop/backports-3.13.2-1
    make defconfig-wifi
    sudo make install
    The process takes a few minutes; please be patient.

Reboot and let us have your report.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.