Thread: Elementary OS Luna, wireless keyboard needs unplug, replug for detection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Elementary OS Luna, wireless keyboard needs unplug, replug for detection

Title says it all. I've had random strange detection issues on all distros based on Ubuntu I have tried. For example with Mint it would only detect my wireless keyboard after hitting 5 keys for example. In ElementaryOS Luna I have to unplug and replug the usb unifying thinggi for it to detect it. Once it re-detects it then everything works fine. And so far it seems when I replug it I have to do so into a different usb port than what it was in before.

My keyboard is a Logitech K350. Any advise or thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Elementary OS Luna, wireless keyboard needs unplug, replug for detection

What are the hardware specs of your computer and how new is it ?

Beans
    Distro

Stinger, I have a custom computer, insides are about a year old. There were some other things I couldn't get working and I just got annoyed enough I re-installed Linux Mint (KDE Flavor this time around).

I'm guessing it had to do with Luna using an older ubuntu repo and older software lists. I think when the OS matures more it could be a serious contender for the top of the list though. Mint better watch out!

Beans
    Distro

You can get eOS working with new hardware too using the LTS Enablement stack from Precise.

To install the Saucy hardware enablement packages in eOS Luna or Precise , please run the following command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-lts-saucy libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-saucy
    Remember to reboot to activate the new kernel and x-server.
    LTS Enablement Stack page

I wrote about it earlier on this thread:
    [elementaryOS] 5 Myths About elementary
    ( Bottom half )

noxit2 had almost the same problem on this thread:
    elementaryOS won't let me use my external keyboard
    Last edited by Stinger; April 7th, 2014 at 09:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Interestingly Ubuntu 14.04 Beta 2 notices my keyboard right away no problems. Even in Mint [based on 13.10] I had to tap a few keys before it said ,"oh yeah there's something there".

Beans
    Distro

Well it seems like you would need the LTS enablement stack from Trusty, but Trusty hasn't been released yet so thats unfortunately not available ( But will be soon )

You could consider trying the unstable ElementaryOS build from 2014-04-01, it has the Saucy LTS Enablement Stack build in.
    It has "kernel 3.11.0-19-generic" and "OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.1, OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30"

Officially I can't recommend that you install it ( have only tried it live myself ) but what you do is completely up to you
    Try it live first to see if it works.

Beans
    Distro

Hmm good to know Stinger, I may give it another shot in the future. Right now I'm surprized and amazed I'm enjoying using Unity. Have always been against it but with this 14.04 Beta 2 I actually almost *gasp* like it. But I have a certifiable case of the distro jumps so I'll circle back around to ElementaryOS at some point for sure. I did like the overall design concept.