Thread: Gazelle Reviews Wanted

Beans

Gazelle Reviews Wanted

I am looking into buying a Gazelle but have some concerns specifically about the keyboard and was hoping any of you owners of newer machines could weigh in with your experience. Most of the irate complaints online seem to be directed at the Darter and Galago for not always registering keystrokes, but I am not clear if the keyboard is the same on the Gazelle or if they have improved it recently. I also wonder about the size of the power brick and if it is excessively large.

Aside from that issue, they look like good machines.

Can any of you provide any feedback?

Beans

Re: Gazelle Reviews Wanted

I'm a Gazelle Pro 9 owner. The keyboard is pretty much fine. The power brick is pretty small, at least compared to the monster than comes with the Bonobo Extremes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a Gazelle7. I haven't noticed any response issues with the keyboard, at least related to the computer. Usually if anything occurrs its because I fat fingered the keyboard. I DID take me a little while to get used to the chiclet style.

The power brick, the one I have is about 5.5"Lx2"Wx1"D. It is right up there with most notebooks out there. I thought it was going to be huge but I have no complaints.

Beans

I've got a Pro8, one year ago. I'm satisfied with tit except for one thing: at the left side of the touchpad, where the left palm rests, it gets uncomfortably hot. It can not be used if you don't have a cooler turned 95% of the time. It gets hot always. Not only when using CPU load. Not in vain it has a shortcut speed up the fans to the maximum.

I read about that issue before buying it but I never thought it was that bad. I think is something related to having ordered it with a SSD. Anyway, looking at the pictures of version 9, it seems they moved the air flow vents, maybe is solved.

Beans

I just got my Gazelle about two weeks ago and this thing rocks!

I bought the bare machine except the sale they had on the CPU I had to take (i7-4810). I have no heat issues and this thing runs nice and cool. It can get a little warm but nothing worse then any other laptop I have owned. It is very fast, by far the fastest machine I have ever owned. I have found nothing not to like about this machine. There are some general gripes, like I wish I could disable the charging circuit. I wish it would auto detect if the touchpad was needed (I rarely use it). But all in all it is much better then the Dell it replaced and it was cheaper.

The screen really is the shining star in this laptop. It is amazing and easily one if not the best screen I have ever seen. Hope this helps.

Beans

I got my Gazelle Pro 9 a few months ago, and the keyboard was an issue... too hard to touch type. They sent me a replacement, it was pretty easy to install myself, and they gave pretty detailed instructions. And although the frame of the keyboard doesn't match the plastic body, the keyboard is now a normal, decent keyboard... a huge improvement. Not to brag, (or date myself) but I started on IBM selectrics, Apple II+, TRS80 keyboards and have typed on just about everything since, and there *was* a serious problem with the original keyboard. The plastic body seems a little cheap, but it is light and holding up well. I'm not getting any overheating issues, and everything else about it is great!

Beans

i have my gazp9 for 9 months.

the keyboard rattled on the lower right when i first received it. tech support advised me to put notecards under the keyboard, lol. after that the keyboard was fine for a while. recently, it started locking the function keys after pressing them (e.g. after muting the laptop, it will jump back and forth between mute and not mute). i hope after cleaning the keyboard it will be fine again.

the main problem is that the laptop gets extremely hot. it does not disturb me during normal working, but under full load (e.g. mathematica/matlab multicore calculations, games) the laptop becomes burning hot (to the degree that sometimes it shuts itself off under full load). that is a bit of a disappointment because in principle it is a very fast machine.

there are some minor bothering issues: it constantly suffers from loose screws. every now and then i need to retighten them. the most annoying thing is that the fan sometimes starts to rattle. It seems in order to be able to provide fast hrdware system76 saved on the manufacturing and the "small" things.