Nicest fonts...

Hi

for buntus 14.04 ...

tia!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Nicest fonts...

Personal favourite of mine is the Liberation font family, which I generally turn to. It has sans, serif & mono variants and looks slick and are GNU GPL (I think.)
    = Fit as a butcher's dog =

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DogMatix View Post
    Liberation font family, which I generally turn to. It has sans, serif & mono variants and looks slick
    how to install it? what bout droid??

tia!

Beans

Thumbs up for ttf-droid-sans. Awesome fonts. Check out as well Artwiz Fonts and Frutiger. There are a couple of fonts in those packages that are marvelous.

Best of Luck!
    My Arch Linux Blog in Spanish
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobonbuntu View Post
    No OS is good in itself; it is always the combination of user and OS that makes a good combination, or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Fonts are packaged and available in the Ubuntu repos. Search for them with Software Center, Synaptic, etc.

if you install fonts manually, you can place them in /usr/share/fonts and they will be available to any user on the machine. Or, you can creat a ".fonts" directory in your home folder, place the new fonts there, and they will be available only to you.

When you install fonts manually, you either need to log in and out, or open a terminal and run "fc-cache -fv" and "sudo fc-cache -fv", to make the system aware of them.

The basic Microsoft fonts -- Arial, Verdana, etc. -- are available in the ubuntu-restricted-extras package (which also installs Flash and a number of codecs) or in the "ttf-mscorefonts-installer" package.

Google font collection (https://www.google.com/fonts) is a good source.

On Unity, I prefer Ubuntu Medium for window titles and interface use, Droid Sans Mono for monospace and terminal use, and stay with the default Sans (which is Deja Vu Sans) for documents. I also like Opens Sans and Noto Sans. On Gnome, I stay with the defaults, and find Cantarell Bold displays better than most other bolded fonts I've used.
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; April 7th, 2014 at 04:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu installs Libreoffice by default and Libreoffice comes with fonts that are then available to other applications. I do not think that the Libreoffice developers would use proprietary fonts. Liberation font is part of the default Libreoffice set of default fonts.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post

On Unity, I prefer Ubuntu Medium for window titles and interface use, Droid Sans Mono for monospace and terminal use, and stay with the default Sans (which is Deja Vu Sans) for documents. I also like Opens Sans and Noto Sans. On Gnome, I stay with the defaults, and find Cantarell Bold displays better than most other bolded fonts I've used
    for browsers which do U use?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by xxx6 View Post
    for browsers which do U use?
    I use Firefox. I change the default of serif to sans, but do not overide a site's font specification in its CSS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I used tewi-font for a simple, small, clean font when I was on Arch.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I like Terminus font for the terminal, and Ubuntu fonts for other things.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ttf-ubuntu-font-family xfonts-terminus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast