Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS bugs

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS bugs

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    Wow, thats pretty buggy.

Has this been going on since you installed ubuntu?

Unity has a 2D mode in 12.04, have you tried it?

What kind of equipment you got (cpu, ram, video)?

See if this will give you any errors:

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    • TOSHIBA Satellite L25-S1216 Detailed Product Specification
    • Processor and Chipset
    • Intel® Celeron® M Processor 380
    • 1.60GHz, 1MB L2, 400MHz FSB
    • ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M Chipset

RAM upgraded to 1.1 GB

HD is upgraded to new 100 GB PATA Fujitsu MHV2100AT ATA drive

Don't know anything about unity, but will try to learn.

Thanks,

R.
    Last edited by lisati; April 7th, 2014 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Please use the default formatting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RMcGinnis View Post

Don't know anything about unity, but will try to learn.
    Unity, 2D or 3D, is the default interface on Ubuntu 12.04. It is what you should have been seeing all along. I.e, a top panel and a column of icons on the left screen edge.

Generically speaking (meaning there's no way to know if it's related to your current problems) have you been installing updates regularly?

When you see the the pink screen with the mouse cursor, can you use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to open a full screen terminal window? You would see a black screen with a login prompt. (Ctrl-Alt-F7 should get you back).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Unity, 2D or 3D, is the default interface on Ubuntu 12.04. It is what you should have been seeing all along. I.e, a top panel and a column of icons on the left screen edge.

Generically speaking (meaning there's no way to know if it's related to your current problems) have you been installing updates regularly?

When you see the the pink screen with the mouse cursor, can you use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to open a full screen terminal window? You would see a black screen with a login prompt. (Ctrl-Alt-F7 should get you back).
    OK, I get Unity if I don't get the boot failure before Unity. On booting I get the typical pink screen with the mouse arrow in the middle of the screen. If boot is successful, the icons (in the Launcher etc) in Unity will suddenly appear. With boot failure, the icons and the Launcher, Unity just never appear, even if I keep the PC on for hours.

I have been updating regularly. I will try some of the suggestions. Currently Ubuntu on the HD is working and I am using it now. But last night I used the live CD to respond to the posts in this thread. I think there is an update due now which I'll try to install.

Thanks,

R.

Edit: Computer is now up to date.
    Last edited by AbleTassie; April 7th, 2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Post install of software update.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    See if this will give you any errors:

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    I got the read out below:

sudo apt-get -f install
    [sudo] password for user:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    ttf-umefont libhttp-daemon-perl libfile-listing-perl libwww-robotrules-perl
    libnet-ssleay-perl liburi-perl gir1.2-ubuntuoneui-3.0 gir1.2-atspi-2.0
    libhttp-date-perl liblwp-mediatypes-perl libfont-afm-perl libmailtools-perl
    libsocket6-perl libhtml-parser-perl python-virtkey libcapi20-3
    guile-1.8-libs unixodbc gettext libubuntuoneui-3.0-1 python-speechd
    liblouis2 libpam-winbind liblwp-protocol-https-perl python-brlapi icoutils
    python-louis libio-socket-inet6-perl gnome-games-data
    gir1.2-gnomebluetooth-1.0 libtimedate-perl libhtml-form-perl
    libhttp-negotiate-perl libhtml-format-perl libencode-locale-perl
    python-pyatspi2 libhtml-tree-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl libwww-perl winbind
    fonts-droid libhttp-cookies-perl liblouis-data libhttp-message-perl
    gnome-exe-thumbnailer libhtml-tagset-perl libnet-http-perl ttf-droid
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Beans

Something else weird: Right now I can't access applications through the DASH. I can access home, files & folders, and video, but not applications. Maybe if I reboot that will help.

I can switch back and forth between Unity and a black terminal screen by using ctrl+alt+f1 and ctrl+alt+f7.

Thanks,

R.

Beans

Something else weird: Right now I can't access applications through the DASH. I can access home, files & folders, and video, but not applications. Maybe if I reboot that will help.
    I don't know what causes this but others have reported the same.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2215411

If reboot doesn't fix it, open your home directory, press ctrl + h to show hidden files (or check 'show hidden files' in the file manager's menu)
    then go to .local/share and delete the folder zeitgiest then reboot and applications should show.

Beans

Hi Monkeybrain and others,

Presently Ubuntu on the HD is working; but for how long? After reboot I was able to access applications through the DASH. I was looking for the System Monitor, so I opened it and locked it to the Launcher. So I should be able to access it all the time now. I wanted to monitor my upload and download, because one of the bugs is that my internet connection just "goes out" for some reason. When this happens the system monitor Network History just "flat lines" at zero.

The last time I was not able to boot into Unity, I hit ctrl+alt+F1 and then ctrl+alt+F7 and "Voila" the icons and the launcher appeared, BUT the icons in the launcher did not respond to a mouse click. I also noticed there was no black bar at the top with my username and the icons with dropdown menus. So I had to reboot again.

I was just doing something on the internet and everything was going fine, then bam, the mouse and screen just froze up requiring another reboot. This is getting annoying. It's as bad as Windows. And I really like Ubuntu, the people, etc. But not sure what to do. Looks like this post will go through at least.

Thanks,

R.
    Last edited by AbleTassie; April 7th, 2014 at 07:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did these problems exist before the new drive was installed? Or, was 12.04 installed on the new drive?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Did these problems exist before the new drive was installed? Or, was 12.04 installed on the new drive?
    It's a good question. I don't think they did exist with the old drive, at least not to this extent. The old drive is a 40GB drive that came new with the new PC. It has 25 bad sectors, that's the reason I replaced it. But it is still functional. The number of bad sectors (25) did not increase over a period of 3-4 weeks that I monitored the drive. I suppose I could put it back in and see if it has the same problems. It is not that hard to swap out the hard drives. And the data on the drives stays intact. In fact the old drive probably still has Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on it.

BTW, I had to reboot Ubuntu & the HD since my last post, because the PC froze again, even though the PC was not being used.

R.

Edit: If it is the HD, would there be a utility that would detect the HD abnormality? I bought the new HD with a 3 year warranty.
    Last edited by AbleTassie; April 7th, 2014 at 08:56 PM. Reason: To add question about HD utility

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

• TOSHIBA Satellite L25-S1216 Detailed Product Specification
    • Processor and Chipset
    • Intel® Celeron® M Processor 380
    • 1.60GHz, 1MB L2, 400MHz FSB
    • ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M Chipset

RAM upgraded to 1.1 GB

HD is upgraded to new 100 GB PATA Fujitsu MHV2100AT ATA drive
    This is fairly weak (but still useable) hardware. I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu.
    A fresh install of X/Lubuntu 13.10 or 14.04 is a better option, also if your Ubuntu were working flawlessly.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast