Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS bugs

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS bugs

I am having trouble with what appear to be Ubuntu 12.04 LTS bugs; and it is getting progrssively annoying. I have downloaded and installed all the latest updates. I am wondering if I can do anything about these bugs:

1) Lack of complete boot up: the boot up process stops at a blank pink screen with the mouse arrow in the middle of the screen. The arrow will move, but there are no icons, even after an hour or more. So I have to restart/reboot the PC by manually powering off, then repowering the PC with the power button.

2) The PC "freezes" by a) the mouse pointer no longer moving and (I think) icons no longer responding to clicking the mouse, b) the mouse pointer continues to move, but icons no longer responding to clicking the mouse. If I turn on the touchpad, which is generally off, it's also the same thing ( a) or b) ) with the touchpad. Sometimes the PC will respond to the "alt button" on the keyboard, sometimes not. Sometimes ctrl + alt + t brings up a terminal, sometimes not. I have to reboot to overcome the problem.

3) Lately the PC either cannot connect to the internet or stops transmitting/receiving internet bytes, even though the wired connection (according to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) is "connected." I have to reboot to overcome the problem.

QUESTION: Is there anything I can do anything about these bugs?

Thank you,

R.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS bugs

Something's broken in your system if it's doing that.... When having one of these freeze-ups, are you able to open a virtual console by hitting ctrl+alt+F1? (ctrl+alt+F7 reverts to your GUI). Once in virtual console, issue command
    Code:
    unity
    to restart your desktop, see if that gives any immediate help to your problem. Issuing that command should not close any of your opened documents/applications.

Beans
    Hidden!

Wow, thats pretty buggy.

Has this been going on since you installed ubuntu?

Unity has a 2D mode in 12.04, have you tried it?

What kind of equipment you got (cpu, ram, video)?

See if this will give you any errors:

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install

Beans

Well boot problem has nothing to do with Unity. Unless I am missing something 1) happens before the login screen, unity is not even loaded at that point.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Well boot problem has nothing to do with Unity. Unless I am missing something 1) happens before the login screen, unity is not even loaded at that point.
    And your suggestion would be?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Depending what 'pink' screen we are viewing. If we are seeing a mouse pointer have we not progressed beyond GRUB and a DE is trying to load!
    = Fit as a butcher's dog =

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    And your suggestion would be?
    Check the hardware especially the hd, which I suspect may be dying.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, this is a possibility.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurja View Post
    Something's broken in your system if it's doing that.... When having one of these freeze-ups, are you able to open a virtual console by hitting ctrl+alt+F1? (ctrl+alt+F7 reverts to your GUI). Once in virtual console, issue command
    Code:
    unity
    to restart your desktop, see if that gives any immediate help to your problem. Issuing that command should not close any of your opened documents/applications.
    I'll try that (i.e., unity). I am presently responding using the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS live CD, rather than the HD loaded version. I could not get on the internet with the HD version.

R.

Beans

The HD is brand new, I got it a couple weeks ago. The disk utility says the HD is healthy, SMART status.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast